Kirk Emery’s practice focuses on mergers and acquisitions, equity and debt financings, corporate governance, supply and service agreements, and general corporate matters. He is well regarded for his legal and business judgment and practical approach to optimizing client outcomes.
Kirk advises leading and emerging Canadian, foreign, and multinational companies. His clients include public and private companies, private equity groups, venture capital investors, hedge funds, banks, owner managed businesses, regulated companies, and emerging growth companies.
Kirk advises foreign clients on Canadian matters and domestic clients throughout Canada and on international matters, including multijurisdictional transactions.
Among other industries in which Kirk has expertise, he has deep experience with technology transactions involving pure technology companies as well as traditional companies. Kirk advises emerging growth companies throughout their complete lifecycle including organization, scaling, and exit.
Kirk also has substantial experience with legal and business aspects of the blockchain ecosystem. He advises on matters involving exchanges, custodians, developers, staking, technology providers, investments, liquidity provisioning, and traditional financial institutions. He also advises on the formation of networks and DAOs.
Kirk was previously the Executive Vice President of Legal & Business Development at Figment Inc., a technology unicorn and leading global infrastructure service provider for blockchain companies and asset managers.
- Author, Blockchain Law: Anatomy of Staking Contracts, April 25, 2023
- Speaker at Blockchain and Digital Asset Fundamentals at Superweek 2022, hosted by the Canadian Association of Alternative Strategies and Assets, September 27, 2022
- Past Councillor, Saint Mary’s University Alumni Association
- Canadian Bar Association
- American Bar Association
- New York State Bar Association
Bar admissions & education
- Ontario, 2018
- Nova Scotia (retired), 2014
- New York, 2013
- LL.B. and B.C.L., McGill Faculty of Law, 2013
- Canadian Securities Course, 2011
- B.A. (Honours), Saint Mary’s University, 2009