Bryant Frydberg is an experienced corporate tax and mergers and acquisitions lawyer who works mainly with owner/manager and other private corporations. Bryant also carries on a complementary business law practice.
Bryant is committed to providing excellent service. He is accessible and responsive; he takes a pragmatic approach to solving problems and helping clients achieve their goals and objectives.
Bryant’s practice includes:
Corporate tax law: Bryant advises on all matters of corporate tax law including mergers and acquisitions, succession planning, planning and implementing other corporate reorganizations, and tax-driven corporate restructurings for private corporations.
Mergers and acquisitions: Bryant acts for both purchasers and sellers in Canadian and cross-border merger and acquisition transactions, including structuring of the purchase and sale transaction.
Corporate/commercial law: Bryant assists with unanimous shareholder agreements, cost-share agreements, and general business law matters.
Bryant has considerable experience in transactions with dental support organizations (DSO) including selling dental practices to DSO’s and structuring of DSO’s.
Bryant is a frequent writer and speaker on tax and corporate/commercial matters. He is also the editor of the “Estate Freeze” chapter in Miller Thomson on Estate Planning.
Professional achievements & leadership
- Completed the Canadian Institute of Chartered Accountants In-depth Tax Course
- Completed level 1 of the Get on Board Governance Education Program offered by the Canadian Board Diversity Council
- Attended the Leadership Training Program at Queen’s School of Business in November 2014
- Past chair of CBA Tax Non-Specialist South Section
- Canadian counsel to a purchaser acquiring a sulphur facility.
- Represented the shareholders in a sale of a Canadian target to a private equity. Target provides high quality, integrated data and software decision support systems to the upstream oil and gas industry in Western Canada and elsewhere.
- Routinely represents both purchasers and sellers in the purchase and sale of dental practices, including asset, share, and hybrid transactions.
- Represented the shareholders of Doherty & Bryant Financial Strategists Inc. (D&B) in a share sale transaction whereby T.E. Financial Consultants Ltd. purchased all of the shares of D&B.
- Represented the shareholders of a private company in the sale of an online safety training and programming business; this was a cash and stock deal.
- Represented the Canadian shareholders in the sale of a software solution company in the oil and gas industry to a US-based private equity firm.
- Represented the seller of a commercial roofing and cladding company in a share sale transaction.
- Represented the sellers in the sale of a pile driving company.
- Represented the sellers in the sale of an all-terrain vehicle rental business to a US-based private equity firm.
- “Subsection 55(2) and Safe Income,” Canadian Tax Foundation, 2018
- Miller Thomson on Estate Planning, Carswell, (Editor of Chapter 13), regular releases and updates
- “‘Half-loaf’ Gone Wrong: Gervais, G. et al. v. The Queen (“Gervais”),” Tax Notes, July 2014
- “Structural Challenges in Selling a Business,” Canadian Tax Foundation, 2014
- “Top Technical Bill Issues for Owners-Managers,” Canadian Tax Foundation, 2013
- “Recent Proposed Changes to Rules Applicable to Personal Services Business,” Tax Notes, April 2013
- “U.S. Tax and Filing Obligations for Canadians,” Tax Notes, June 2012
- “Employee Profit Sharing Plans— Changes to Come?” Tax Notes, December 2011
- “Tax Tip—Share Consideration Issued on a Tax-Deferred Rollover,” Tax Notes, June 2011
- International Tax: Corporate Residency – A New Approach to the Application of Central Management and Control, Tax Notes, March 2010
- “Donation of Exchangeable Shares,” Charities and Not-for-Profit Newsletter, February 2010
- “Manitoba Tax Break for Hiring Co-op Students and Graduates,” Charities and Not-for-Profit Newsletter, August 2007
- “Expanding Liability Horizons, Civil Liability for Secondary Market Disclosure,” Corporate Liability, Federated Press, Vol. XII, No. 2, 2007
- “Tax Court Rejects Stamp Catalogue Valuation,” Charities and Not-for-Profit Newsletter, December 2006
- “Charitable Donations and Flow-Through Shares,” Charities and Not-for-Profit Newsletter, August 2006
- Bryant is a director and Co-Chair of the Calgary Jewish Academy, a private elementary school in the city of Calgary.
- Director and Co-Chair, Calgary Jewish Academy
- Member, Canadian Bar Association
- Member, Calgary Bar Association
- Member, Law Society of Alberta
- Member, Canadian Tax Foundation
Bar admissions & education
- Alberta Bar, 2006
- LL.B., University of Manitoba, 2005
- B.A., Western University, 2002