Miller Thomson’s Agribusiness & Food Production group is a leader in Canada. We advise on the legal needs for all segments of this industry sector, from the farmer/producer, to the food manufacturer, to the end consumer – and virtually every other facet along the value chain. Agribusiness and food production gives rise to many complex and unique legal issues. Miller Thomson’s Agribusiness & Food Production group brings in lawyers from all practice areas in our firm to solve the corporate/commercial and litigation challenges faced by our clients. Recognized by Chambers Canada as the leading law firm for Agribusiness and the only Canadian law firm to achieve Band 1 ranking, our Agribusiness & Food Production Group is the only Canadian law firm with the experience and in-depth expertise to cover the entire scope of the agriculture industry – from field to table.
Our services include advising on:
- Marketing boards and commissions
- Livestock and plant production
- Agriculture lending and recoveries
- Commercial transactions involving agriculture & food production
- Litigation on agricultural & food production issues
- Business organization & development
- Land use planning & environmental issues
- Liability of governments & government agencies
- Grain law
- Food Labelling
- Food Safety
- Marketing & transportation
- Intellectual property
- Farm succession planning, estates and tax issues
- Successful federal court administrative challenge of CFIA refusal to compensate livestock owners
- Litigation of damage claims resulting from recall of food products.
- Representation of various provincial poultry associations in disputes and negotiations with regulating authorities.
- Advice regarding foreign ownership of agricultural land.
- Transactional and competition advice in the acquisition of significant processing facilities.
- Advisors to micro-breweries in manufacturing, distribution and licensing matters.
- Creation and capitalization of agricultural cooperatives.
- Litigation arising from failure to comply with USDA import standards for food products.
- Estate freeze and succession planning for family farms
- Advice in the creation of farming corporations and holding corporations.
- Representation of boards and commissions across Canada.
- Advice relating to regulatory matters, food safety, labelling/packaging; Import/Export regulations
- Advice regarding warehouse agreements, grower agreements, packing and co-packing agreements, and export and distribution agreements.
- Environmental advice related to growing/processing operations, including environmental charges and water rights
- Advising agricultural clients on labour and employment issues
- Advice on agricultural land generally
Awards & accolades
- Chambers Canada – top ranked Canadian law firm in Agribusiness, 2016 – 2021