Rick Reeson’s practice consists primarily of commercial, bankruptcy and insolvency litigation as well as business transactions including business law, banking law and bankruptcy and insolvency law. Rick has represented a variety of banks and financial institutions in all aspects of their corporate and business affairs. He also assists our corporate and commercial clients and provides advice relating to their relationships with their lenders and in all manner of business disputes.
With over 42 years of experience, Rick is a respected and very well regarded lawyer in the area of banking and insolvency law. He has been listed as a leading practitioner in Insolvency and Financial Restructuring in The Canadian Legal Lexpert® Directory from 1999 to 2021. Rick was also named as one of The Best Lawyers in Canada from 2006 to 2022 and named Lawyer of the Year for insolvency and financial restructuring law for Edmonton in 2016, 2018 and 2021. He was also listed in the 2020 Lexpert as one of the other Lexpert – ranked leading litigation lawyers.
Rick has published in trade journals and regularly presents articles on banking and insolvency law and legal developments. He has also instructed and made presentations to a number of institutions, business and professional organizations over the years. These include the Legal Education Society of Alberta, the Canadian Bar Association, Canadian Insolvency Practitioners Association, The Canadian Institute, and the Institute of Chartered Accountants of Alberta, among others. He is a sessional lecturer at the University of Alberta Law School where he teaches Corporate Restructuring Law.
Professional achievements & leadership
- The Best Lawyers in Canada – Insolvency and Financial Restructuring Law, 2006 – 2022
- Lawyer of the Year, The Best Lawyers in Canada – Insolvency and Financial Restructuring Law, 2011, 2016, 2019, 2021
- Acritas Stars global survey of stand-out lawyers, 2018
- The Canadian Legal Lexpert Directory, Insolvency and Financial Restructuring Law, 1999 – 2021
- Appointed Queen’s Counsel, 1994
- Member, Law Society of Alberta
- Member, Canadian Bar Association
- Member, Insolvency Institute of Canada
Bar admissions & education
- Alberta Bar, 1978
- LL.B., University of Saskatchewan, 1977
- B.Admin., University of Regina, 1976