Ray Adlington is an experienced lawyer who is well versed in all areas of tax law. He has a robust practice with particular focus on corporate tax, private client services and tax dispute resolution.
He acts as counsel to private and public companies on a broad range of issues, from tax effective growth to reorganization. Ray advises on commercial transactions, including tax disclosure in prospectuses and circulars, delivering Canadian tax opinions to facilitate capital market transactions and structuring transactions. He also advises on enterprise structuring, succession planning and tax dispute resolution for business owners and entrepreneurs. Ray counsels individuals on estate planning and non-residents on Canadian tax issues as well.
Ray acts for private corporations, their owners, and high net worth individuals across Atlantic Canada. He works frequently on a fixed fee basis, providing tax advice and opinions, implementing tax plans, planning for business succession or sale, estate planning, and resolving disputes with the Canada Revenue Agency on behalf of taxpayers. Ray has acted for the most successful entrepreneurs in Atlantic Canada. He is the former Managing Partner and CEO of a large regional law firm.
Professional achievements & leadership
- The Canadian Legal Lexpert Directory, Corporate Tax, 2020
- Chair of Atlantic Provinces Economic Council, 2017-2020
- Recognized by Best Lawyers in Canada for his practice in Tax and Trusts and Estates, 2011-2020
- Former President of the Canadian Bar Association, 2018-2019
- Lawyer of the Year- Trusts and Estates, Best Lawyers Awards, 2018
- Canadian Bar Association
- Canadian Tax Foundation
- International Bar Association
- Nova Scotia Barristers’ Society
Bar admissions & education
- Nova Scotia Bar, 1997
- LL.B., Dalhousie University, 1996
- MBA., Dalhousie University, 1996
- B.Sc., Dalhousie University, 1992