John Cross is a corporate-commercial lawyer with considerable experience in financial services and real estate law. He has facilitated major projects in all facets of commercial development including transactions, construction, leasing, and financing. He has extensive experience on both the lending and the enforcement side of secured transactions.
John offers his clients a pragmatic approach with an emphasis on service. He draws on his strong commercial law background developed through 30 years of practice. John seeks to apply solutions that will get the deal done while safely achieving his clients’ objectives. As a corporate counsel, he takes pride in communicating clearly and demystifying complexity, a skill appreciated by his business clients who rely on him for practical and proactive advice.
Over the years, John has instructed for a number of educational institutions as well as business and professional organizations. These include the University of Alberta, Legal Education Society of Alberta, Building Owners and Managers Association, Urban Development Institute, International Council of Shopping Centres, and the Edmonton Real Estate Board.
John was the Managing Partner of Miller Thomson’s Edmonton Office from 2003-2007.
Professional achievements & leadership
- Best Lawyers in Canada – Lawyer of the Year, Banking and Finance Law, 2020
- Canadian Legal Lexpert Directory, Banking & Financial Institutions, 2018
- The Best Lawyers in Canada – Banking and Financial Law; Commercial Leasing Law; Corporate Law; Real Estate Law, 2013-2020
- Appointed Queen’s Counsel, 2004
- The Land Use Licence – A Right Without an Interest (And Why That Matters), Real Estate Report, May 10, 2010
- Director, Kids with Cancer Society of Northern Alberta
- Examiner, Legal Education Society of Alberta, Bar Admission Course
- Past Member, Grant MacEwan College Campus Development Committee
- Past Director, Grant MacEwan College Foundation
- Past Director, The Rainbow Society of Alberta
- Member, Law Society of Alberta
- Member, Canadian Bar Association, Real Estate Subsection, Business Law Subsection
- Past Member, Alberta Real Estate Association, Standard Forms Committee
Bar admissions & education
- Alberta Bar, 1980
- LL.B., University of Alberta, 1979
- B.Sc., University of Alberta, 1976