( Disponible en anglais seulement )
John Cross is recognized as a leading lawyer in the Real Estate, Banking and Finance, Commercial Leasing and Corporate Law practice areas. He has completed large scale property projects of all types, including mixed use projects. He acts on acquisitions, dispositions, land assemblies, land use agreements, leases and co-ownership, joint venture and partnership arrangements for developers, property managers, big box retailers, REITs, investment pools and health and seniors care institutions.
He acts for institutional and corporate lenders, both real estate and commercial as well as borrowers. John has structured corporate and public company credit facilities, multi lender and subordinated debt financings, asset based loans and he has enforcement and restructuring experience. He acts as general counsel for corporations with national and international scope, who rely on him for all their corporate legal requirements and ongoing proactive advice.
John has instructed at various educational institutions and business and professional organizations including the University of Alberta, Legal Education Society of Alberta, Building Owners and Managers Association, Urban Development Institute and the International Council of Shopping Centres.
John was the Managing Partner of Miller Thomson’s Edmonton Office from 2003-2007.
Réalisations professionnelles et leadership
- Lawyer of the Year, The Best Lawyers in Canada - Commercial Leasing Law, 2021
- The Best Lawyers in Canada - Real Estate Law, 2013 - 2024; Corporate Law, 2015 - 2024; Banking and Financial Law, 2016 - 2024; Commercial Leasing Law, 2017 - 2024
- Canadian Legal Lexpert Directory, Banking & Financial Institutions, 2018; Property Leasing, 2020 - 2021
- King’s Counsel (appointed Queen’s Counsel in 2003)
- The Land Use Licence – A Right Without an Interest (And Why That Matters), Real Estate Report, May 10, 2010
- Director, Kids with Cancer Society of Northern Alberta
- Examiner, Legal Education Society of Alberta, Bar Admission Course
- Past Member, Grant MacEwan College Campus Development Committee
- Past Director, Grant MacEwan College Foundation
- Past Director, The Rainbow Society of Alberta
- Member, Law Society of Alberta
- Member, Canadian Bar Association, Real Estate Subsection, Business Law Subsection
- Past Member, Alberta Real Estate Association, Standard Forms Committee
Formation et admission au barreau
- Alberta, 1980
- LL.B., University of Alberta, 1979
- B.Sc., University of Alberta, 1976