Deb Lister has a commercial litigation practice involving a breadth of experience and expertise in a number of areas and industries.
While representing a wide range of clients, Deb has a particular interest in the areas of contract law, professional liability, shareholder disputes, estates law, insurance law, and matrimonial property litigation.
Trusts and estates: litigation services relating to all matters, including the replacement and appointment of trustees, applications for advice and direction, and will challenges.
Insurance: provision of opinions regarding coverage, litigation regarding coverage disputes, representation of insured matters for architects, engineers, social hosts, and others.
Matrimonial: divorce, pre-nuptial agreements, cohabitation agreements, and post-separation matrimonial property disputes and agreements.
Commercial litigation: shareholder disputes and general commercial disputes of all types.
Professional achievements & leadership
- Dean’s List, University of Alberta, Faculty of Law, 1997-2000
- Berger Prize in Criminal Trial and Procedure
- Parlee Scholarship
- Honourable Mr. Justice Arnold F. Moir Scholarship
- Sessional Instructor, University of Alberta, Faculty of Law, Civil Procedure, 2010-2014
- The Best Lawyers in Canada – Corporate and Commercial Litigation, 2018-2019
- Member, Law Society of Alberta
- Member, Canadian Bar Association—Insurance Section, Wills & Trusts Section, Civil Litigation Section, and Family Section
- Member, Canadian Defence Lawyers Association
Bar admissions & education
- Alberta Bar, 2001
- LL.B. (with distinction), University of Alberta, 2000
- B.A. (psychology, with first-class honours), Brock University, 1997
Miller Thomson lawyers recognized in The Best Lawyers in Canada 2019
In the just released 2019 edition of The Best Lawyers in Canada, 144 Miller Thomson lawyers from across the country have been recognized for their expertise in 47 areas of law. This includes 6 lawyers who were awarded “Lawyer of the Year” in...