Deb Lister is Co-Leader of Miller Thomson’s Commercial Litigation Group. She has a commercial litigation practice involving a breadth of experience and expertise in a number of areas and industries. While representing a wide range of clients, Deb has a particular interest in the following areas:
Corporate commercial litigation: shareholder disputes, partnership disputes, and general commercial/contractual disputes of all types.
Insurance matters: provision of advice regarding coverage, litigation regarding coverage disputes, and representation of insured matters for architects, engineers, social hosts, and others.
Trusts and estates: litigation services relating to all matters, including the replacement and appointment of trustees, applications for advice and direction, and will challenges.
Matrimonial: divorce, pre-nuptial and cohabitation agreements, and property disputes, particularly those involving complex property and corporate matters.
Professional achievements & leadership
- Benchmark Canada, Litigation Star, 2023
- The Best Lawyers in Canada – Corporate and Commercial Litigation, 2018 – 2023; Insurance Law, 2022 – 2023
- Sessional Instructor, University of Alberta, Faculty of Law, Civil Procedure, 2010 – 2014
- Dean’s List, University of Alberta, Faculty of Law, 1997 – 2000
- Berger Prize in Criminal Trial and Procedure
- Parlee Scholarship
- Honourable Mr. Justice Arnold F. Moir Scholarship
- Co-author, “Why competent legal advice is fundamental,” Miller Thomson Estate Litigation Blog, May 5, 2021
- Co-author, “The scope and interpretation of faulty workmanship exclusions in multi-peril policies,” Miller Thomson Insurance Law Blog, May 12, 2020
- Co-author, “The ins and out of the ‘Impaired Property’ exclusion in commercial general liability policies,” Miller Thomson Communiqué, July 2016
- Author, A Primer Regarding Exclusion Clauses,” Miller Thomson Communiqué, November 13, 2008
- University of Alberta, Faculty of Law, Guest Lecturer, Professional Responsibility, 2022
- University of Alberta, Faculty of Law, Guest Lecturer, Constitutional Litigation 2021, 2022
- Workshops Facilitator: Practice Readiness Education Program (PREP), Canadian Centre for Professional Legal Education (CPLED) Foundation, 2020 – Present
- Legislative Review Committee, North (Canadian Bar Association) , Member 2020 – present
- Board of Governors, Bissell Centre, May 2020 – present
- Member, Law Society of Alberta
- Member, Canadian Bar Association – Insurance Section, Wills & Trusts Section, Civil Litigation Section, and Family Section
- Member, Canadian Defence Lawyers Association
Bar admissions & education
- Alberta Bar, 2001
- LL.B. (with distinction), University of Alberta, 2000
- B.A. (psychology, with first-class honours), Brock University, 1997