Deb Lister has a commercial litigation practice involving a breadth of experience and expertise in a number of areas and industries.
While representing a wide range of clients, Deb has a particular interest in the areas of contract law, professional liability, shareholder disputes, estates law, insurance law, and matrimonial property litigation.
Trusts and estates: litigation services relating to all matters, including the replacement and appointment of trustees, applications for advice and direction, and will challenges.
Insurance: provision of opinions regarding coverage, litigation regarding coverage disputes, representation of insured matters for architects, engineers, social hosts, and others.
Matrimonial: divorce, pre-nuptial agreements, cohabitation agreements, and post-separation matrimonial property disputes and agreements.
Commercial litigation: shareholder disputes and general commercial disputes of all types.
Professional achievements & leadership
- Dean’s List, University of Alberta, Faculty of Law, 1997-2000
- Berger Prize in Criminal Trial and Procedure
- Parlee Scholarship
- Honourable Mr. Justice Arnold F. Moir Scholarship
- Sessional Instructor, University of Alberta, Faculty of Law, Civil Procedure, 2010-2014
- The Best Lawyers in Canada – Corporate and Commercial Litigation, 2018-2019
- Member, Law Society of Alberta
- Member, Canadian Bar Association—Insurance Section, Wills & Trusts Section, Civil Litigation Section, and Family Section
- Member, Canadian Defence Lawyers Association
Bar admissions & education
- Alberta Bar, 2001
- LL.B. (with distinction), University of Alberta, 2000
- B.A. (psychology, with first-class honours), Brock University, 1997