Deb Lister has a commercial litigation practice involving a breadth of experience and expertise in a number of areas and industries.
While representing a wide range of clients, Deb has a particular interest in the areas of contract law, professional liability, shareholder disputes, estates law, insurance law, and matrimonial property litigation.
Trusts and estates: litigation services relating to all matters, including the replacement and appointment of trustees, applications for advice and direction, and will challenges.
Insurance: provision of opinions regarding coverage, litigation regarding coverage disputes, representation of insured matters for architects, engineers, social hosts, and others.
Matrimonial: divorce, pre-nuptial agreements, cohabitation agreements, and post-separation matrimonial property disputes and agreements.
Commercial litigation: shareholder disputes and general commercial disputes of all types.
Professional achievements & leadership
- The Best Lawyers in Canada – Corporate and Commercial Litigation, 2018-2021
- Sessional Instructor, University of Alberta, Faculty of Law, Civil Procedure, 2010-2014
- Dean’s List, University of Alberta, Faculty of Law, 1997-2000
- Berger Prize in Criminal Trial and Procedure
- Parlee Scholarship
- Honourable Mr. Justice Arnold F. Moir Scholarship
- Co-author, “The scope and interpretation of faulty workmanship exclusions in multi-peril policies,” Miller Thomson Insurance Law Blog, May 12, 2020
- Co-author, “The ins and out of the ‘Impaired Property’ exclusion in commercial general liability policies,” Miller Thomson Communiqué, July 2016
- Author, A Primer Regarding Exclusion Clauses,” Miller Thomson Communiqué, November 13, 2008
- University of Alberta, Faculty of Law, Guest Lecturer, Constitutional Litigation 2021
- Workshops Facilitator: Practice Readiness Education Program (PREP), Canadian Centre for Professional Legal Education (CPLED) Foundation, 2020, 2021
- Legislative Review Committee, North (Canadian Bar Association) , Member 2020 – present
- Board of Governors, Bissell Centre, May 2020 – present
- Member, Law Society of Alberta
- Member, Canadian Bar Association – Insurance Section, Wills & Trusts Section, Civil Litigation Section, and Family Section
- Member, Canadian Defence Lawyers Association
Bar admissions & education
- Alberta Bar, 2001
- LL.B. (with distinction), University of Alberta, 2000
- B.A. (psychology, with first-class honours), Brock University, 1997