Adam Bata is a Partner in Miller Thomson’s Toronto office who advises clients on mergers and acquisitions, private equity investments, equity and venture capital financings, corporate governance and other general corporate matters. He has a particular interest in helping emerging and high-growth companies thrive. Adam prides himself on providing practical strategic advice to clients which is tailored to their specific business needs and in line with their legal budget.
Examples of how Adam spends his time:
Mergers & Acquisitions: advising domestic and international clients on the purchase or sale of Canadian businesses (including through asset and share purchase transactions and plans of arrangement).
Corporate Structuring: advising corporate clients on formation and structuring, including implementing tax-driven reorganizations.
Start-up Matters: advising startup and investor clients on equity financings, corporate governance matters and growth strategy, including negotiating complex shareholders and partnership agreements.
General Corporate Matters: advising individuals and businesses on the negotiation of commercial agreements and providing general-counsel type support in respect of day to day challenges.
- Member, YIN Committee, International Fiscal Association, 2016 – Present
- Member, Corporate Governance Committee, Halifax Partnership, 2018 – 2019
- Member, Halifax YP Steering Cmte., Canadian Tax Foundation, 2014 – 2019
- Member, Governance & HR Cmte., Art Gallery of Nova Scotia, 2013 – 2019
- Nova Scotia Barristers’ Society
- Law Society of Ontario
- Canadian Bar Association
- Canadian Bar Association of Nova Scotia
- Canadian Tax Foundation
Bar admissions & education
- Ontario Bar, 2019
- Nova Scotia Bar, 2013
- In Depth Tax Course, CPA Canada, 2017
- J.D. (Business Law Specialization), Dalhousie University, Schulich School of Law, 2012
- Canadian Securities Course, Canadian Securities Institute, 2012
- Bachelor of Science (Honors), Major in Life Sciences, Queen’s University, 2009