Adam Bata is a member of Miller Thomson’s Mergers & Acquisitions and Business Law Groups. Adam primarily spends his time advising clients on mergers and acquisitions, venture capital, corporate governance and other general corporate matters. He has a particular interest in helping emerging and high-growth companies thrive.
Adam prides himself on providing practical strategic advice to clients which is tailored to their specific business needs and in line with their legal budget.
Adam previously practiced at a large Atlantic Canadian law firm where his broad practice allowed him to develop his expertise in corporate commercial matters as well as taxation law. This knowledge base has enhanced his ability to advise clients on efficient transaction structures and quickly identify larger tax issues that may require additional planning.
Adam’s practice focuses on the following areas:
Mergers & Acquisitions: advise clients from initial diligence and letter of intent stage to closing of asset or share sale transaction.
Corporate Structuring: advising clients on corporate formation and key corporate governance matters, including preparation of shareholders agreements and partnership agreements.
Start-up Matters: advising clients on capital raises and growth strategy.
General Corporate Matters: advising clients on negotiation of commercial agreements and providing general support in respect of day to day matters.
- Member, YIN Committee, International Fiscal Association, 2016 – Present
- Member, Corporate Governance Committee, Halifax Partnership, 2018 – 2019
- Member, Halifax YP Steering Cmte., Canadian Tax Foundation, 2014 – 2019
- Member, Governance & HR Cmte., Art Gallery of Nova Scotia, 2013 – 2019
- Nova Scotia Barristers’ Society
- Law Society of Ontario
- Canadian Bar Association
- Canadian Bar Association of Nova Scotia
- Canadian Tax Foundation
Bar admissions & education
- Ontario Bar, 2019
- Nova Scotia Bar, 2013
- In Depth Tax Course, CPA Canada, 2017
- J.D. (Business Law Specialization), Dalhousie University, Schulich School of Law, 2012
- Canadian Securities Course, Canadian Securities Institute, 2012
- Bachelor of Science (Honors), Major in Life Sciences, Queen’s University, 2009