Stephen is a lawyer who specializes in charities law and estate planning. His strategic and practical advice helps charitable organizations achieve their missions. His estate plans help families successfully pass on their life's work and legacy to the next generation.
Stephen provides advice and services to all clients – charities, not-for-profit organizations, foundations, boards, schools, social entrepreneurs, individuals, families, and business owners – in the following areas:
- Charities Law: Incorporation, Charitable Registration, Board Governance, Compliance and Tax, and Gift Planning.
- Estate Planning: Wills, Incapacity Planning, Trusts, Business Succession, Estate Administration, and Marriage Agreements.
Best Lawyers in Canada named Stephen as a “One to Watch” in Tax law. Stephen is a frequent speaker, contributor, and writer in the areas of charities, governance, and estate planning. Stephen was the co-editor of the Annotated British Columbia Societies Act and has presented to the Canadian Bar Association, to the BC Children’s Hospital Foundation Legacy Circle, and to various advisors, organizations, and private clients.
Stephen has served as a director on the boards of several national, provincial, and local charities and societies. A community servant at heart, Stephen is committed to using his skills and expertise to build up strong organizations, families, and enterprises in British Columbia and across Canada.
Professional achievements & leadership
- Best Lawyers in Canada: Ones to Watch – Tax Law (Vancouver), 2022
- The Legal and Literary Society Leadership Award, Osgoode Hall Law School, 2013
- 2nd Place Factum, US-Canada Niagara International Moot Court Competition, 2013
- McCarthy Tétrault First-Year Academic Achievement Prize, 2011
- Princeton Class of 1924 Leadership Prize, 2008
- Co-Editor (with Dierk Ullrich), Annotated British Columbia Societies Act, loose-leaf (Toronto: Thomson
- Co-Author (with Dierk Ullrich), “Chapter 18 – Societies” in British Columbia Company Law Practice Manual (Vancouver: Continuing Legal Education Society of British Columbia, 2021).
- Legal Reviewer, People’s Law School’s “Preparing Your Will” and “Being An Executor” guides, 2019
- Co-author, “Private Clients in Canada”, Lexology Navigator, March 12, 2018
- “Corporate Shares on Death, Disability, and Divorce”, Virtual Presentation to Private Clients, November 2021
- “Your Will: Experts Answer Your Top Questions”, Virtual Presentation to the British Columbia Children’s Hospital Foundation Legacy Circle, March 3, 2021
- “Estate Planning: 5 Common Questions”, Presentation to the North Shore Multicultural Society (in Mandarin Chinese), January 20, 2021
- “Never Let a Crisis Go to Waste: Planning Opportunities for Business Owners During COVID-19”, Virtual Presentation to Private Clients, November 18, 2020
- “The Pitfalls of Joint Tenancy”, Presentation to the Canadian Bar Association BC Elder Law Subsection, September 12, 2019
- Legal Reviewer, People’s Law School, 2018-21
- Director, S.U.C.C.E.S.S. Multi-Level Care Society, 2019-21
- Director, Federation of Asian Canadian Lawyers, 2016-18
- Director, Christian Respite Family Services, 2015-17
- Sunday School Teacher and Volunteer, Westside Church
- Law Society of British Columbia
- Canadian Bar Association
Bar admissions & education
- British Columbia Bar, 2014
- Ontario Bar, 2014
- Chartered Professional Accountants In-Depth Income Tax Course, Parts I, II, and III, 2020
- Judicial Law Clerk, Court of Appeal for Ontario, 2013-14
- J.D. (Top 3% of Graduating Class), Osgoode Hall Law School, 2013
- A.B. cum laude, Princeton University, 2008