Sarah Fitzpatrick’s practice focuses on the areas of charities, not-for-profits, wills and estates. She provides general advice to charities and not-for-profit organizations and trusts, and helps clients to achieve their estate-planning goals.
Sarah counsels charities and not-for-profit clients on governance, regulatory compliance, social enterprise and gift planning. She assists clients with general corporate legal matters including major business contracts, transactions and restructuring. Sarah also has an active estates and trusts practice which includes estate planning, estate administration and advice to trustees.
Sarah is an active member in the community. She is currently the Secretary of the Canadian Bar Association, British Columbia Charities and Not-for-Profit Law Subsection. She is also the Secretary of Green Teams of Canada.
Professional achievements & leadership
- Ann Roberts Humanitarian Award, 2013
- Thorsteinssons Prize in Taxation, 2012
- University of Victoria President’s Scholarship, 2011
- Borden Ladner Gervais LLP Professional Excellence Award, 2011
- McMillan LLP First-Year Achievement Award, 2011
- Stikeman Elliot Prize in Contracts, 2011
- Fasken Martineau Dumoulin LLP Scholarship, 2011
- “Charitable organisations in Canada: overview”, Thomson Reuters, 2018
- “Social Finance, Enterprise and Innovation”, BarTalk, December 1, 2016
- “The New Societies Act in British Columbia: What You Need to Know”, Miller Thomson seminar, 2016
- “Trust Tools and Issues, Estate Planning for Blended Families,” CLEBC, 2015
- “Regulation and Use of Drones in Canada, Altitudes,” CBA National Air and Space Law Section newsletter, 2013
- Director, Green Teams of Canada
- Canadian Bar Association
- Law Society of British Columbia
- Canadian Association of Gift Planners
Bar admissions & education
- British Columbia Bar, 2014
- LL.B., University of Victoria, 2013
- B.A., University of Toronto, 2008