As a preeminent labour and employment lawyer, Gary Rosen principally acts in discipline, hiring, and restructuring files as well as in traditional labour law matters such as certifications, collective bargaining and grievance arbitration. In addition, he possesses major and renowned experience in commercial litigation.
Always seeking solutions that are in the best interest of the client from both a practical and a financial perspective, Mr. Rosen represents small, medium-sized and large businesses as well as public and private companies before courts of all levels.
His knowledge and business acumen enable him to handle a vast assortment of mandates with widely recognized proficiency and efficiency.
A seasoned negotiator and litigator, Gary Rosen has been involved in many complex and high-profile cases in a wide range of areas, such as major pay equity files, union certification applications, class actions, the professional liability of a large Arm of chartered accountants and disputes in professional sports.
Gary is the leader of the Montréal office Administrative Law Group.
Professional achievements & leadership
- The Best Lawyers in Canada – Employee Benefits Law, 2016-2020
- The Best Lawyers in Canada – Labour and Employment Law, 2010
- James McGill Award, McGill University
- Brian Dickson Award, University of Ottawa Faculty of Law
- Access to Justice: The Cost of Doing Business – Who Pays, Who Benefits & Who Should?, 12th Annual National Administrative Law and Labour & Employment Law Conference, Canadian Bar Association, November 25-26, 2011
- Taking Care of Business and Closing Up Shop – Statutory and Case Law Considerations Amongst Canadian Jurisdictions, American Bar Association, National Conference on Equal Employment Opportunity Law, Equal Employment Opportunity Committee, March 27, 2010
- Instructor, L’injonction et la requête en sauvegarde en droit du travail – Procédure et contenu, Mandatory Continuing Education Program, Barreau du Quebec
- ”Proposed Changes to the Quebec Act respecting Labour Standards: What Employers Need to Know”, Labour and Employment Communiqué, article written with Philippe Larochelle, April 30, 2018
- “Doing Business in the Great White North: A Guide to Frequently Asked Questions Relating to Canadian Labour and Employment Law”, The International Comparative Legal Guide to Employment & Labour Law 2011, March 2011, United Kingdom, pp. 24-32, written jointly with Craig T. Munroe
- ‘’Even More Questions Frequently Asked in Quebec Labour & Employment Law’’, under the supervision of Gary S. Rosen, Robert Bonhomme and Danny J. Kaufer, Éditions Yvon Blais/Carswell, Cowansville, Québec, 2008
- ‘’More Questions Frequently Asked in Quebec Labour & Employment Law’’, under the supervision of Gary S. Rosen, Robert Bonhomme and Danny J. Kaufer, Carswell, 2005
- ‘’14 Questions Frequently Asked in Quebec Labour & Employment Law’’, under the supervision of Gary S. Rosen, Robert Bonhomme and Danny J. Kaufer, Éditions Yvon Blais/Carswell, Cowansville, Québec, 2002
- Canadian Bar Association (CBA)
- American Bar Association (ABA)
Bar admissions & education
- Quebec Bar, 1988
- LL.L., University of Ottawa, 1987
- LL.B., University of Ottawa, 1986