David has a business law practice with particular focus on compliance/regulatory and privacy. He has a strong background in the Life Sciences, Health, Biotech, and technology sectors and has hands-on experience in the US, Europe, and other cross-border settings. Prior to joining Miller Thomson, David spent seven years as Senior Compliance Counsel at a large multi-national medical device and life sciences business.
In his work as privacy counsel, David has led privacy audits, provided strategic advice on use of technology, promotional activities and compliant design of systems and products as well as drafted policies/procedures and transactional documents. He has also been involved in compliance projects to prepare for the European General Data Protection Regulation and has years of experience in the subject matter from a European perspective.
David helps clients navigate, manage and mitigate risk related to complex regulatory requirements including anti-bribery, healthcare laws/industry standards, anti-trust, and trade controls but also risks posed by enforcement, cyber security threats, litigation, new business models and M&A activity.
David’s goal is to provide practical legal advice that is actionable by organizations. His work in this regard includes:
- Drafting and advice on compliant structure of commercial agreements, promotional activities, and other transactions
- Conducting senior-leader led risk assessments and implementation of targeted governance mechanisms
- Drafting and implementation of codes of conduct and related policies and standard operating procedures
- Managing and conducting internal investigations and responses to audits/inspections and assisting in organizational audit-readiness
- Managing due diligence activities in business acquisitions and implementation of risk mitigation strategies in business integrations.
- Law Society, CPD Planning Committee
- Saskatchewan Environmental Society, Volunteer
- Member, Law Society of Saskatchewan
- Member, Canadian Bar Association
Bar admissions & education
- Alberta, 2008
- Saskatchewan, 2016
- Masters of Laws (Law & IT), Stockholm University, 2011
- J.D., University of Saskatchewan, 2007
- B.Comm., University of Saskatchewan, 2002