Darin Hannaford is an experienced litigator working with a wide range of industries in Western Canada. For more than two decades, Darin has provided practical legal advice to clients in a variety of contractual, construction, transportation, environmental, and regulatory matters.
Darin has represented contractors across Canada in large construction claims and general contractual disputes. He has also acted for a number of corporate entities on commercial litigation and administrative law matters including shareholder disputes, employment matters, advertising and marketing, regulatory approvals and hearings, environmental litigation involving contamination of former industrial sites, municipal and planning law issues, and statutory arbitrations to set the price of various products and services.
Administrative law: acts as counsel before various administrative tribunals including the Alberta Energy Resource Conservation Board, the Canadian Transportation Agency, the Agricultural Products Marketing Appeal Tribunal, and various Subdivision and Development Appeal Boards.
Commercial litigation: represents clients before all levels of courts in Alberta as well as the Federal Court of Appeal.
Mediation and arbitration: represents clients in multi-party mediations and arbitrations across Canada.
Marketing, advertising, and regulatory: provides advice on various contest and advertising materials.
Professional achievements & leadership
- Appointed Queen’s Counsel, 2022
- The Best Lawyers in Canada, Corporate and Commercial Litigation, 2017 – 2022; Transportation Law, 2022
- Canadian Legal Lexpert Directory, Transportation (Road & Rail), 2020, 2022
- Darin writes and speaks on legal developments in the transportation industry. He is a regular contributor to the Western Canada Highway News magazine.
- Co-presented, “Edmonton Construction Seminar- Contracts & Claims,” Miller Thomson seminar, March 21, 2017
- Co-presented, “Recent Developments in Administrative Law,” Miller Thomson seminar, June 18, 2009
- Co-presented, “Executive Breakfast Seminar Transportation,” Miller Thomson seminar, April 21, 2009
- Speaker, “Legal Road Map for Carriers, Shippers and Others,” CITT National Symposium for Supply Chain and Logistics Professionals, October 2010
- Darin is actively engaged in his community. He has served on a number of volunteer committees and boards in Strathcona County, including the Assessment Review Board, the Subdivision and Development Appeal Board and the Recreation, Parks and Culture Committee.
- Member, Law Society of Alberta
- Member, Canadian Bar Association, Construction and Administrative Law Sections
- Member, Canadian Transportation Lawyers Association
- Member, Alberta Motor Transport Association
- Member, Canadian Transportation Research Forum
Bar admissions & education
- Alberta Bar, 1992
- LL.B., University of Alberta, 1991
- B.A., Political Science, University of Alberta, 1988 (Dr. John MacDonald Gold Medal in Arts)