Darin Hannaford is an experienced litigator working with a wide range of industries in Western Canada. For more than two decades, Darin has provided practical legal advice to clients in a variety of contractual, construction, transportation, environmental, and regulatory matters.
Darin has represented contractors across Canada in large construction claims and general contractual disputes. He has also acted for a number of corporate entities on commercial litigation and administrative law matters including shareholder disputes, employment matters, advertising and marketing, regulatory approvals and hearings, environmental litigation involving contamination of former industrial sites, municipal and planning law issues, and statutory arbitrations to set the price of various products and services.
Administrative law: acts as counsel before various administrative tribunals including the Alberta Energy Resource Conservation Board, the Canadian Transportation Agency, the Agricultural Products Marketing Appeal Tribunal, and various Subdivision and Development Appeal Boards.
Commercial litigation: represents clients before all levels of courts in Alberta as well as the Federal Court of Appeal.
Mediation and arbitration: represents clients in multi-party mediations and arbitrations across Canada.
Marketing, advertising, and regulatory: provides advice on various contest and advertising materials.
Professional achievements & leadership
- The Best Lawyers in Canada – Corporate and Commercial Litigation, 2017-2019
- Darin writes and speaks on legal developments in the transportation industry. He is a regular contributor to the Western Canada Highway News magazine.
- Legal Road Map for Carriers, Shippers and Others, CITT National Symposium for Supply Chain and Logistics Professionals, 2010
- Darin is actively engaged in his community. He has served on a number of volunteer committees and boards in Strathcona County, including the Assessment Review Board, the Subdivision and Development Appeal Board and the Recreation, Parks and Culture Committee.
- Member, Law Society of Alberta
- Member, Canadian Bar Association, Construction and Administrative Law Sections
- Member, Canadian Transportation Lawyers Association
- Member, Alberta Motor Transport Association
- Member, Canadian Transportation Research Forum
Bar admissions & education
- Alberta Bar, 1992
- LL.B., University of Alberta, 1991
- B.A., Political Science, University of Alberta, 1988 (Dr. John MacDonald Gold Medal in Arts)
Miller Thomson lawyers recognized in The Best Lawyers in Canada 2019
In the just released 2019 edition of The Best Lawyers in Canada, 144 Miller Thomson lawyers from across the country have been recognized for their expertise in 47 areas of law. This includes 6 lawyers who were awarded “Lawyer of the Year” in...
Miller Thomson lawyers recognized in The Best Lawyers in Canada 2017
126 Miller Thomson lawyers from across the country and in numerous areas of law have been recognized for their expertise in the 2017 edition of The Best Lawyers in Canada. This result is up from 122 lawyers ranked last year....
Darin Hannaford and Daniel Kiselbach speak at the National Symposium for Supply Chain and Logistics Professionals: “Reposition 2010”.
Their presentation is titled “Legal Road Map for Carriers, Shippers and Others”. Please click here for more information about this conference.
Edmonton Construction Seminar- Contracts & Claims
William Kenny, Scott Hammel and Darin Hannaford host a breakfast seminar on Contracts & Claims on Tuesday March 21st 2017. Date: Tuesday, March 21, 2017 Time: 7:15 a.m. – 8:00 a.m. Breakfast and Registration 8:00 a.m. – 9:00 a.m. Presentation Location: Delta Edmonton South 4404 Gateway...
Miller Thomson LLP will host “Recent Developments in Administrative Law” in Edmonton on June 18
The Edmonton Office is hosting an Executive Breakfast Seminar Transportation 2009 on Tuesday, April 21
Legal Road Map for Carriers, Shippers and Others
CITT National Symposium for Supply Chain and Logistics Professionals
CITT Reposition 2010, (CITT National Symposium, October 27-29, 2010)