Kelsey Sherriff has a general commercial litigation practice with a focus on administrative and regulatory health law, wills and estates, and class actions.
Kelsey has a diverse litigation practice that includes the following:
- Trust and estate litigation and dispute resolution: Kelsey acts for executors on probate matters and for individuals and charities on issues concerning the validity of wills and variation claims. In addition, Kelsey acts for clients assisting with the care of adults, including applications for committeeship.
- Class actions: Kelsey acts as defence counsel in a wide variety of class actions including environmental, products liability and price fixing cases.
- Health law: Kelsey acts for various administrative bodies such as regulatory colleges. Her litigation work includes submissions before the Health Professions Board, disciplinary hearings, and Supreme Court matters.
- Commercial litigation: Kelsey acts for a wide array of clients in her commercial litigation practice on matters involving contractual disputes, debt claims, bankruptcy and insolvency, and shareholder disputes.
During law school, Kelsey was actively involved in the law school student government. She was a first year representative on the Social Affairs Caucus, served as vice-president sitting on the Law Students’ Society Executive in her second year and served as president of the Law Students’ Society in her final year. In addition, Kelsey volunteered for the Law Students’ Legal Advice Program as both a clinician and a clinic head at the Gordon House Community Centre.
Following law school, Kelsey clerked for one year at the British Columbia Supreme Court.
Kelsey serves as the co-chair of Miller Thomson Vancouver’s Women’s Leadership Initiative committee and co-chair of the national Pro Bono committee.
Professional achievements & leadership
- The Best Lawyers in Canada – Corporate and Commercial Litigation, 2024; Trusts and Estates, 2024
- The Canadian Legal Lexpert Directory: Leading Lawyer to Watch, Litigation – Corporate Commercial, 2023
- The Canadian Legal Lexpert Directory, Litigation – Corporate Commercial, 2022 - 2023
- Benchmark Canada, Future Star, 2022-2023
- Successfully appealed a certification order in an environmental class action in Kirk v. Executive Flying Centre.
- Obtained an order for a medical examination under the parens patriae jurisdiction of the court, a first of its kind in BC.
- Was involved in a pro bono class action defending the rights of Canadian Veterans to fair benefits for injuries suffered in their service in Scott v Canada.
- “The Law of Consent for Organ Donation,” CBA Wills and Trusts Section Meeting, February 16, 2016
- “Tax Court of Canada Rules on Location of Business Income For Tax Exemption Under Indian Act,” Tax Notes, November 2012
- “Climate Change Legislation & Transportation Transformation,” The Transportation Lawyer, 2011
- “Court of Appeal Rules that Provisions of the Builder’s Lien Act are Inapplicable to Certain Leasehold Interests in Federal Crown Lands,” Construction and Infrastructure Law Newsletter, BC Client Alert, March 2011
- “Report Indicates Canada Should Implement National Climate Policies Ahead of U.S.,” Miller Thomson Client Alert, 2011
- Canadian Bar Association
Bar admissions & education
- British Columbia, 2011
- J.D., University of British Columbia, 2009
- B.H.K., University of British Columbia, 2005