Maxime Rhéaume practises in the area of private financing, whether secured on personal property or real estate, unsecured, or processed through subordinated debts. His clientele is composed chiefly of financial institutions which grant operating loans and term loans to mid-sized companies, in Québec.
Maxime also possesses a wealth of experience drafting and negotiating loan and guarantee agreements. Furthermore, he regularly represents financial institutions in connection with real estate financing.
“The pledge of securities by an Individual”, written by Maxime B. Rhéaume ((1995), 98 R. du N. 90) was cited by the Supreme Court of Canada in Val-Brillant v. Blouin ((2003) 1 R.C.S. 666). Maxime has also written on the liability of a special partner who controls a corporate general partner in his article “The Liability of the Limited Partner” ((2006) 40 R.J.T. 429).
Maxime is highly involved with the Université de Montréal where he has been a lecturer in corporate law and securities law at the Faculty of Law of the Université de Montréal. He has also been active in university community affairs, serving as a volunteer on various committees, particularly as a member of the Board of the Law Faculty for several years.
Since 2012, Maxime is aslo a part-time lecturer at the Faculty of Law and Political Science of the Université Lumière in Lyon, France.
Publications and Presentations
- “Québec Commercial Lending Law (Real Estate Lending)”, 2016 Commercial Lending Law, 2nd Edition, Volume 2, American Bar Association-Business Law Section, p. 2573
- “Movable Hypothec on Monetary Claims: New Security under the Civil Code for Cash Collateral (Available in French only)”, Lexology, March 28, 2016
- “Monetary Claims”, Financial Services & Insolvency Communiqué, March 28, 2016
- “The Liability of the Limited Partner”, ((2006) 40 R.J.T. 429)
- Les aspects juridiques du capital de risque, Les journées Maximilien-Caron, 1998
- “La gage des valeurs mobilières par un particulier” ((1997) 31 R.J.T. 843)
- “The pledge of securities by an Individual”, ((1995), 98 R. du N. 90)
- Securities Law lecturer at the Faculty of Law the Université de Montréal in the Master’s program, notary option (since 2015)
- Business Law lecturer at the Université de Montréal Faculty of Law (1990-2017)
- Part-time lecturer at the Faculty of Law and Political Science of the Université Lumière Lyon 2 (since 2012)
- Lecturer at the École du Barreau du Québec (March 2007 and March 2009)
- Member of Miller Thomson’s Partners Compensation Committee from 2010 to 2013
- Responsible for fundraising from major law firms in Montréal to finance the publication of Droit Montréal, the journal of the Université de Montréal Faculty of Law for graduates (between 2010 and 2013)
- Volunteer Member of the Québec Bar Referral Service (from 2008 to 2013)
- Board Member of the Université de Montréal Graduates in Law Association (ADDUM) whose mission is to promote the reunion of the Faculty of Law alumni (from 2008 to 2012)
- Member of the Audit Committee in charge of auditing the accounts of the Union of Université de Montréal lecturers (SCCCUM) (between June 30, 2007 and December 31, 2008)
- Elected Member of the University of Montreal Law Faculty Council (from December 2002 to 2010 and since June 2016)
- Member of the University of Montreal Dispute Appeal Committee (from June 2004 to May 2008 and from November 2008 to May 2012)
- Member of the University of Montreal Assembly Senate (from November 1994 to May 1998, from June 1998 to May 2002, from November 2002 to May 2007, from November 2007 to May 2011)
- Member of the University of Montreal Disciplinary Committee (from June 2007 to May 2011)
- President of a division of a disciplinary committee of the University of Montreal (March 2009 and June 2010)
- Alternate Member of the University of Montreal Dispute Appeal Committee (from November 2000 to May 2004)
- Member of the Nominating Committee of the University Assembly (from June 1995 to May 1999)
Bar admissions & education
- Québec Bar, 1981
- LL.L., Université de Montréal, 1980
Keyvan Nassiry and Maxime Rhéaume author chapter in Commercial Lending Law
Published by the American Bar Association, Commercial Lending Law: A Jurisdiction-By-Jurisdiction Guide to U.S. and Canadian Law, Second Edition is a two-volume guide outlining commercial lending laws for all U.S. states and territories, and Canada. It is a valuable resource for...
Maxime B. Rheaume will deliver a presentation to the future graduate students of the Business Law Master program of the Faculty of Law and Political Sciences of Lyon 2 University, in France. This presentation, which will be taking place on the week of December 3, 2012, will focus on the different types of companies in Quebec, on security law and on the financing of corporations in Quebec.
Maxime B. Rhéaume donnera une conférence sur la relève d’entreprise à Groupex qui regroupe 80 franchisés dans le domaine des coopératives horticoles.
Quebec Commercial Lending Law
Chapter in Commercial Lending Law: A Jurisdiction-by-Jurisdiction Guide to U.S. and Canadian Law, 2nd Edition.
Highlights A new regime for security over monetary claims came into force January 1, 2016. A “monetary claim” is (i) a claim for payment solely in money that (ii) is owed to the debtor by its creditor or a third party....
Movable Hypothec on Monetary Claims: New Security Under the Civil Code for Cash Collateral
Caisse de dépôt invests $18 million in Moment Factory
Counsel to Caisse de dépôt et placement du Québec