Josh Selby’s practice focuses on real estate law. Josh’s practice includes real estate transactions (acquisition and disposition), leasing, condominiums, real estate development, and real estate financing (especially development financing). Josh also has experience in planning law and subdivision and development appeal boards. He has acted for developers of shopping centres, subdivisions, and numerous condominium projects including towers, mixed-use sites, phased projects, bare land projects, retail condominiums, office condominiums, and industrial condominiums.
Josh is also actively involved in the real estate development community. He is the Chair of the BILD’s Multifamily Committee, is a former member of BILD’s Commercial and Industrial Committee, is a member of BILD’s Urban Redevelopment Committee, is chair of the South Alberta Canadian Bar Association Commercial Real Property Subsection, and is a member of the executive of the Municipal Law Subsection. Josh has presented on real estate related topics for the Legal Education Society of Alberta, on leasing law for ICSC and Haskayne School of Business, and on condominium law for the Canadian Condominium Institute.
Josh has particular experience in the following areas:
Leasing: Josh has acted for numerous retailers including a major grocery store, fast food franchises, restaurants, and clothing retailers. He also acts for industrial landlords, and retail and office landlords.
Condominium: Josh acts for condominium developers and condominium corporations; he also advises owners in disputes with condominium corporations.
Municipal and planning: Josh has acted on the construction of a neighborhood shopping centre and an enclosed shopping centre in excess of one hundred thousand square feet. He has also acted for a developer of a large mixed-use project and for numerous condominium and suburb developers.
Josh is an active member of the Canadian Bar Association’s Commercial Real Estate subsection. He has lectured extensively on condominiums, condominium development, and leasing. He has prepared papers on mixed-use leasing for the International Convention of Shopping Centres’ legal conference in Toronto. He co-hosted a round table on medical leasing. He has lectured on mixed-use condominium projects to the Canadian Condominium Institute. Josh is also involved with the Legal Education Society of Alberta (LESA) on the topics of new home construction and condominiums. Josh edited the “Remedies” section of the Real Estate Fundamentals materials for LESA. Josh has also written articles for the University of Calgary Law School’s blog. Finally, Joshua has presented at the ACMA/CCI/REIC Conferences in 2014 and 2015.
Professional achievements & leadership
- The Best Lawyers in Canada, Real Estate Law, 2022
- Canadian Legal Lexpert Directory, Property Leasing, 2020 – 2021
- Secretary of the Commercial Real Estate Subsection of the Commercial Real Property subsection of the Canadian Bar Association
- Co-lead, “Roundtable on Leasing to Health Care or Medical Uses,” ICSC Legal Conference, 2016
- Co-author, “Bare Land Condominiums, Exclusive Use Common Property, Managed Property, and Common Units, Condominiums: A Practitioner’s Update,” Legal Education Society of Alberta, October 2014
- Author, “Managed property, the reserve fund, ultra vires doctrine and other issues in interpreting the Condominium Property Act,” University of Calgary, Faculty of Law Blog, November 2012
- Author, “Remedies” in Real Estate Fundamentals, Legal Education Society of Alberta, August 2012
- Speaker, Case Law Reviewer, Canadian Condominium Institute (South Alberta Branch) Legal Lunch and Learn
- Presenter, “Mixed-Use Condominiums,” Canadian Condominium Institute
- Contributor, Alberta Real Estate Practice Manual and Alberta Real Estate Fundamentals
- Contributor, Green Leasing Task Force, American Bar Association
- Presenter, Canadian Condominium Institute / Association of Condominium Managers of Alberta Conference
- Presenter, Managing Mixed Use Projects, Canadian Condominium Institute
- Member, Canadian Bar Association, Alberta
- Member, Canadian Bar Association, Environmental Law Subsection
- Member, Case Reviewer and Secretary, Commercial Real Estate Subsection of the South Alberta Canadian Bar Association
- Member, American Bar Association
- Member, ICSC
- Member, CHBA – UDI
Bar admissions & education
- Alberta Bar, 2008
- LL.B., University of Victoria, 2007
- B.A. (with distinction), University of Calgary, 2004