Hillary works with clients to develop their estate plans in accordance with their unique concerns and objectives. She uses her technical knowledge to strategically implement trust planning, intergenerational business planning, incapacity planning, planning for disabled beneficiaries and planning for clients with multi-jurisdictional estates. Hillary also assists clients with administrative matters, providing assistance with probate and estate administration and providing advice to executors and trustees.
Hillary provides pragmatic advice and counsel in a number of areas, including:
Estate Planning: preparation of wills, inter vivos or testamentary trusts, and powers of attorney for property or for personal care. Reorganizing business entities or ownership.
Estate Administration: applying for grant of probate or administration, interpretation of wills and trusts, advising executors and trustees regarding their duties, advising individual and charitable entity beneficiaries regarding their rights.
Hillary’s experience in these areas make her a well-informed estate planning lawyer, able to assist clients comprehensively.
Professional achievements & leadership
- STEP Canada Prize in Estate Law, 2020
- Frank Billinkof Prize in Wills and Succession, 2020
- Co-Presenter, “Beneficiary Designations Made Clear”, the Ontario Bar Association Elder Law Program, September 21, 2022
- Co-Author, STEP Journal Regional Focus US and Canada, “An Overview of Changes to Canada’s Trusts, Estates and Succession Laws”, Issue 4, 2022
- Legal Counsel to the Executive Board of the Heartwood Healing Centre, Winnipeg, Manitoba, 2021 – Present
- Estate Planning Council of Canada
- Society of Trust and Estate Practitioners
- Canadian Bar Association
- The Law Society of Manitoba
- The Law Society of Ontario
- The Law Society of British Columbia
Bar admissions & education
- British Columbia Bar, 2023
- Ontario Bar, 2022
- Manitoba Bar, 2021
- Juris Doctor, Robson Hall, 2020
- Advanced Bachelor of Arts in Linguistics (with Distinction), University of Manitoba, 2017
- Griefswald University, Universität Greifswald, 2014-2015