Claudia Desjardins Bélisle practises in all areas of labour and employment law as well as administrative law.
She regularly represents employers before the courts and grievance arbitrators. She advises them with regards to the union certification process and collective agreements, and provides them with legal opinions. She also assists employers in negotiating the amicable settlement of disputes.
Claudia has expertise with respect to unfair competition, complex dismissals and individual and collective labour relations.
She has pleaded before the Superior Court and the Court of Appeal in several prominent cases and was also involved in many major dismissals.
She was involved in the negotiation and settlement of one of Quebec’s longest labour conflicts in the last 30 years. This specific case led her to plead several injunction proceedings and obtain a judgment to force the workers of a multinational corporation to vote on their employer’s final offers.
Claudia has also successfully pleaded the reimbursement of an amount in excess of $600,000 for medical services incurred outside of Quebec. This particular case was brought before the Tribunal administratif du Québec following a decision by the Régie de l’assurance maladie du Québec which refused to reimburse such expenses to a cancer patient who survived following an organ transplant operation performed outside of Quebec.
- Cannabis sur les chantiers : Employeurs préoccupés, Miller Thomson annual Construction Law seminar, presented jointly with Daphnée Beauchamp, March 20, 2018
- ”Cannabis sur les chantiers : Employeurs préoccupés”, Miller Thomson 2018 Construction Law seminar Textbook, article written with Daphnée Beauchamp, March 2018
- ”Legalization of Marijuana: Managing this New Workplace Reality”, Canadian Labour & Employment Law Blog, article written with Daphnée Beauchamp, February 12, 2018
- Demystifying the employment contract: the penal clause in term employment contracts; the current scope of such stipulations in Québec law, Miller Thomson Conference, 2016
- Governance: the latest issues affecting NPOs (constructive dismissal), Conference in partnership with Raymond Chabot Grant Thornton, presented in collaboration with the Association of Fundraising Professionals – Québec Chapter, 2015
- “Bill 3 : Proposed Reform or an Infringement of Constitutional Rights? » (with Louis-Philippe Raynault-Ollu), Labour and Employment Communiqué, October 3, 2014
- “Victory of Ex-Wal-Mart employees – What’s next?”, Canadian Labour and employment Law Blog, July 3, 2014
- “Employer Responsibilities during Holiday Parties”, Canadian Labour and employment Law Blog, December 23, 2013
- “Focusing on the Next Generation: Age Discrimination?”, Canadian Labour and employment Law Blog, October 1, 2012
- Member of the committee in partnership with the collaborative workplace La Gare
- Legal clinics for startups, La Gare
- Canadian Association of Counsel to Employers (CACE)
- Young Bar of Montreal
- Canadian Bar Association
- American Bar Association
Bar admissions & education
- Québec Bar, 2012
- J.D., University of Ottawa, 2010
- LL.L., University of Ottawa, 2009