Bruno Caron’s practice is primarily focused on corporate law, securities, financing, mergers and acquisitions of public and private companies, and corporate governance. He is frequently retained as counsel on matters involving business restructuring, statutory arrangements, continuous disclosure requirements and the rules governing shareholders’ meetings. He has also acted as corporate secretary on the board of several public corporations.
Bruno has a particular interest with respect to green financing as a mean to mitigate and adapt to the climate change and the disclosure rules applicable to the risks associated with climate change. Since its inaugural issuance in 2017, Bruno has acted for the Province of Québec in all its five green bond issuances. Bruno was also nominated by the Canada Climate Law Initiative to join the list of Canadian Climate Governance Experts.
In addition, Bruno represents several pharmaceutical companies in all aspects of their activities, including negotiation and drafting of product licensing and distribution agreements, co-promotion agreements and Product Listing Agreements with respect to provincial formularies.
Bruno practised law in New York and in Romania and has a broad international experience. He has represented many clients in matters involving the issuance of debt and equity, initial public offerings, cross-border offerings, as well as private placements under Regulation D, Rule 144A and Regulation S of the U.S. Securities Act of 1933.
Bruno assisted several brokerage firms in matters involving registration with securities regulators. He also advises on matters involving derivatives regulations and derivatives data reporting obligations.
Since 2000, Bruno has been registered as Foreign Legal Consultant in the State of New York. He holds a Bachelor’s degree from McGill University in mathematics and computer science.
Professional achievements & leadership
- The Best Lawyers in Canada – Mergers and Acquisitions Law, 2021
- Guest speaker, TSX/TSXV, TSX Ignite Event, Montréal, October 2016
- Regulatory changes dealing with continuous disclosure of public companies, INFONEX – Legal Update on Financial Disclosure CSA/SEC 2016, The 21st Annual Financial Reporting Course, Toronto, September 2016
- Survol du financement participatif au Canada et aux États-Unis, M&A Club, Montréal, May 2015
- The OTC Derivatives Reform, Portfolio Management Association of Canada (PMAC) Compliance Forum, Montréal, June 2014
- Les nouvelles règles obligatoires en matière de contrôle interne et d’attestation des chefs de la direction et chefs des finances, 3ième Forum avancé sur les valeurs mobilières, L’Institut Canadien, Montréal, January 2006
- Le devoir de dénonciation et le devoir de secret professionnel de l’avocat: comment gérer cette tension?, Forum sur la régie d’entreprise et la dénonciation, Insight, Montréal, November 2004
- “Venture Issuers Disclosure Revolution or Evolution”, Securities Practice Notes, Miller Thomson, December 2019
- “Are You Ready for Environmentally Responsible Disclosure?”, Securities Practice Notes, Miller Thomson, August 2019
- “Changes to NI 45-106 and CP 45-106: Get Ready for your Next Private Placement”, Securities Practice Notes, Miller Thomson, July 2015
- “Le financement participatif des entreprises en démarrage à l’ère du 2.0” (French only), Securities Practice Notes, Miller Thomson, May 2015
- “Start-Up Crowdfunding 2.0”, Securities Practice Notes, Miller Thomson, May 2015
- “Québec’s Autorité des marchés financiers Amends Regulation 91-507 Dealing with Trade Reporting of Derivatives Transactions”, Securities Practice Notes, Miller Thomson, November 2014
- “Le programme de sociétés de capital de démarrage” (French only), Insights, Miller Thomson, January 2014
- “Quebec’s Contribution to Canada’s G20 Commitments – New Rules Concerning Derivatives”, Insights, Miller Thomson, December 2013
- “Another kick at the can”, Securities Practice Notes, Miller Thomson, Fall 2013
- “TSX Adopts “Comply or Explain” Majority-Voting Rules for the Election of Directors (for Now)”, Heenan Blaikie e-news, November 2012
- “The Supreme Court of Canada Considers Materiality Standard”, Heenan Blaikie e-news, July 2011
- “Cross-Border Corporate Finance”, 2002 Guide to the Leading 500 Lawyers in Canada, Lexpert / American Lawyer Media, p. 51
- American Bar Association
- Canadian Bar Association
- New York State Bar Association
- Private Capital Markets Association of Canada
- Le Cercle finance et placement du Québec
Bar admissions & education
- Québec Bar, 1995
- LL.B, Université de Montréal, 1993
- B.A., McGill University, 1990