Andy Chan is Managing Partner of the Vaughan and Markham offices of Miller Thomson LLP. He is also co-chair of the International Business Transactions Group, and national chair of the firm’s Asia Practice. Andy’s specialized global cross-border practice includes providing counsel to international and domestic clients on corporate law, mergers and acquisitions, investments, structurings and financings.
Andy is a recipient of the Queen Elizabeth II Diamond Jubilee Medal for outstanding contributions to Canada. He was also named Leading Canadian Corporate Lawyer to Watch by Lexpert magazine in its Guide to the Leading US/Canada Cross-Border Corporate Lawyers in Canada, and is a past winner of the Lexpert Rising Star Award – “Top Canadian Lawyers under 40”. Andy is a Martindale-Hubbell AV Preeminent ® Rated Lawyer and is also regularly listed in The Canadian Legal Lexpert Directory as a repeatedly recommended lawyer in the area of Corporate Commercial Law.
Most recently, in 2016, Andy was appointed by the government to sit as one of twelve legal experts to the Business Law Advisory Council to advise the Ministry of Government and Consumer Services, the Ministry of the Attorney General and the Ministry of Finance with respect to corporate and commercial legislative reform.
Andy’s areas of focus include business law, related corporate and regulatory matters, financial services and strategic business immigration in a variety of sectors, including manufacturing, real estate development, natural resources, healthcare, technology and insurance. He has counselled public and private multinational organizations, corporate and commercial enterprises as well as individual clients in North America, Europe, Western and Eastern Asia conducting or seeking to conduct business in Canada, and Canadian businesses analyzing or implementing their options in the global markets.
Andy is also active in the area of government relations, wherein he advises on strategic, public policy and compliance issues relating to all levels of government, including the development of business inbound structures coupled with temporary or permanent corporate immigration strategies utilizing appropriate federal or provincial nominee programs (“PNP”).
Having worked overseas at a “Magic Circle” English law firm, and then practicing for several years as a commercial litigator in Canada, Andy is able to leverage his knowledge of international and domestic adversarial processes and markets to accurately anticipate and respond to even the most sensitive of circumstances. In addition, Andy’s experience before all levels of Courts in Ontario, as well as numerous federal and provincial tribunals, allows him to assist clients navigate a variety of strategic challenges in harmony with their overall business objectives.
Andy is licensed to practice law in Ontario and British Columbia.
Professional achievements & leadership
- Appointment to the Business Law Advisory Council to advise the Ministry of Government and Consumer Services, the Ministry of the Attorney General and the Ministry of Finance with respect to reform of corporate and commercial legislation in Ontario, 2016 – present
- Recognized in The Canadian Legal Lexpert Directory as a repeatedly recommended lawyer across Canada in the area of Corporate Commercial Law, 2014 – present
- Martindale-Hubbell AV Preeminent® Rated Lawyer, 2014 – present
- Recipient of the Markham Board of Trade’s Business Excellence Award for achievement in business and professional life, as well as contribution to the community, 2014
- Awarded ASPIRE (Achieving Social & Professional Ideals, Reaching Excellence) award in recognition of next generation business leaders, 2014
- Named Leading Canadian Corporate Lawyer to Watch – Lexpert Guide to the Leading US/Canada Cross-Border Corporate Lawyers in Canada, 2013
- Recipient of Lexpert Rising Star Award – “Top Canadian Lawyers under 40”, 2012
- Recipient of Queen Elizabeth II Diamond Jubilee Medal awarded for outstanding contributions to Canada in commemoration of Her Majesty’s accession to the throne, 2012
- Canadian counsel to Wisdom International Holdings Company Limited, a Chinese private school operation, with respect to its HK$796.3 million Initial Public Offering
- Act for St. Joseph Print Group Inc. in its strategic acquisition of personalized marketing firm Bassett Direct to deepen St. Joseph’s direct mail offerings into its Interconnected Communication Solutions across all mediums
- Canadian counsel to China Maple Leaf Education Systems Limited, a China-based international school, in relation to its Hong Kong Stock Exchange Initial Public Offering of approximately US $123 million
- Counsel to numerous foreign and local enterprises in the structuring, acquisition, development and operations of various high-end commercial, industrial and agricultural properties and businesses across Canada in excess of $75 million
- Counsel to Royal Bank of Canada as administrative agent, RBC Capital Markets as sole lead arranger and a syndicate of lenders in connection with an initial $400 million senior revolving commitment with an additional $400 million available through an accordion feature with Tim Hortons Inc. and the TDL Group Corp. as guarantor to provide interim financing to fund the borrower’s share buyback program
- Counsel to various Chinese enterprises with operations in Liaoning, Jilin Province and the Dayaowan Free Trade Zone, including in relation to $100 million investment in Canada through the acquisition, development and management of enterprises engaged in the processing, wholesale and distribution of specified primary resources
- Counsel to Fortune Future Holdings Limited, in relation to private placement of shares of Gowest Gold Ltd., a Canadian publicly listed gold exploration and development company focused on the delineation and development of the North Timmins Gold Project
- Counsel to The Bank of Nova Scotia as administrative agent, J.P. Morgan Chase Bank, N.A. as syndication agent and syndicate of lenders in connection with a $250 million senior revolving commitment with an additional $150 million available through a commitment increase right with Tim Hortons Inc. and the TDL Group Corp. as borrower
- Acted for Mongolian-based enterprises with respect to the structuring of Canadian inbound corporate strategy, including the establishment of several special purpose acquisition entities for the acquisition of various assets in Canada with an aggregate value exceeding $50 million
- Canadian counsel to J.P. Morgan-led syndicate of underwriters in connection with $350 million senior convertible notes issuance by Biovail Corporation in Canada and the United States
- Counsel on acquisition of an interest in a Canadian resource company for $30 million using a Southeast Asian joint venture vehicle
- Lender’s counsel in connection with approximate $40 million asset-based lending transaction involving manufacturing assets located in Canada and the United States
- Common lenders counsel in connection with a $378 million limited recourse financing of a toll road in Manila, Philippines
- Counsel to private investment fund in connection with a series of acquisitions and divestitures further to a specified insolvency strategy
- Counsel to an acceptance corporation in connection with a cross-border reorganization of its business
- Counsel to a publicly traded technology-based travel services provider in connection with its entry into all Canadian Provinces and Territories, including the acquisition of strategic assets
- Presenter, Ontario Chamber of Commerce Investment and Trade Conference, 2016
- Business Laws of Canada, West (a Thomson Reuters business), 2009 – 2016
- Co-chair, presenter and moderator of the 4th Annual Canada-China Cultural Dialogue, 2015
- Panel Speaker, Cross Border Legal Considerations (FACL), 2014 – 2015
- Panel Speaker, Roundtable Working Breakfast with the Minister of Citizenship and Immigration and Ontario’s Business Leaders in partnership with the Ontario Chamber of Commerce for the development and transformation of policies related to inbound investment and business immigration, 2013
- Panel Speaker, China Business Workshop for Attracting Chinese Investment (Canada Chinese Business Council), 2013
- Presenter, Business Investment and Development Unit of the Ontario Ministry of Agriculture and Food, 2013
- Co-chair and Speaker, Annual Business and Securities Law and Practice Conference (Insight), 2010 – 2012
- Panel Speaker, Business in the Americas (Multilaw) in Ohio, USA, 2012
- Co-host and Speaker at the Canada-China Business Seminar in Shanghai, China, 2012
- Host and Speaker at a press conference and opening event, together with Minister of Economic Development and Innovation, Minister of Culture, Tourism and Sport and representatives from the Canadian Embassy (Beijing) with respect to a significant investment into Ontario by a Chinese enterprise with operations in Liaoning, Jilin Province and the Dayaowan Free Trade Zone, 2012
- Presenter to the Governor of XuanWu District (Nanjing City) with respect to the considerations for Canadian Inbound Investment by Foreign Entities, 2012
- Co-presenter to the Vice-Governor of Jiangsu Province, the Deputy Consul General and their respective contingents on Canadian corporate and intellectual property law hosted by the Premier’s Office and the Ontario Office of International Relations and Protocol, 2012
- The Decision to Block the ATK/MDA Deal, Business Law in Canada: Recent Developments, Winter 2008
- National Instrument 51-102 – Changes to Requirements of Reporting Issuers to File Material Contracts, Business Law in Canada: Recent Developments, Summer 2008
- Cried Because I Had No Shoes – (CAEM), 2002
- Competition Law in Canada, 1999
- Member, Business Law Advisory Council – Ministry of Government and Consumer Services
- President and Director, Richmond Hill and Markham Chinese Business Association
- Member, York Region Police District Community Liaison Committee
- Founding Director, China-Canada Economic Growth Alliance
- Founding Director, Jiangsu International Business Association of Canada
- Legal Advisor, Chinese Business Council of Vaughan
- Advisory Board, Canadian General Counsel Awards, 2014 – 2015
- Director, Markham Stouffville Hospital, 2012 – 2014
- International Bar Association
- Inter-Pacific Bar Association
- Canadian Bar Association
Bar admissions & education
- British Columbia Bar, 2015
- Ontario Bar, 2002
- Juris Doctor, Osgoode Hall Law School, York University, 2000
- Bachelor of Arts (Commerce), Rotman School of Business, University of Toronto, 1997
Miller Thomson recognized in 2018 Canadian Legal Lexpert Directory
In the recently released 2018 edition of the Canadian Legal Lexpert® Directory, 90 Miller Thomson lawyers across 35 areas of law have been recognized for their industry-leading advisory expertise. These rankings are the culmination of an extensive annual peer review process...
Jennifer Babe and Andy Chan reappointed to Ontario Business Law Advisory Council
Jennifer Babe and Andy Chan have been reappointed by the Ontario Minister of Government and Consumer Services as members of the Business Law Advisory Council. Comprised of professionals with demonstrated expertise in commercial and corporate law, the council advises the Minister...
Miller Thomson recognized in 2017 Canadian Legal Lexpert Directory
In the recently released 2017 edition of the Canadian Legal Lexpert® Directory, 79 Miller Thomson lawyers across 30 areas of law have been recognized for their industry-leading advisory expertise. These latest rankings are the culmination of an extensive annual peer...
Lexpert recognizes 80 Miller Thomson lawyers
Miller Thomson is pleased to announce 80 lawyers across ten of our offices are recognized in the 2016 edition of The Canadian Legal Lexpert Directory as leading practitioners in their field. Published annually since 1997, The Canadian Legal Lexpert Directory...
Jennifer Babe and Andy Chan appointed to Ontario Business Law Advisory Council
The Government of Ontario has established a new Business Law Advisory Council that will make recommendations to reform laws that are both responsive to changing business priorities and supportive of a prosperous economy. Appointees Jennifer Babe and Andy Chan become...
Andy Chan wins 2014 Business Excellence Award
Miller Thomson’s Andy Chan, Managing Partner of the firm’s York Region office, was awarded The Markham Board of Trade’s Business Excellence Award in the The Young Professionals category. The award recognizes achievement and excellence in the recipient’s business or professional life...
Andy Chan and Aaron Atcheson selected by Lexpert as “Lawyers to Watch”
We are pleased to announce that Andy Chan and Aaron Atcheson were recently selected as Lawyers to Watch in the Lexpert 2013 Guide to the Leading US/Canada Cross-border Corporate Lawyers in Canada. Both Andy and Aaron were recognized as one...
Andy Chan receives 2012 Rising Star Award.
Miller Thomson congratulates Andy Chan, one of this year’s Lexpert® Rising Star award recipients. The award is presented annually to Canada’s leading lawyers under the age of 40. Andy received the award on December 3 at an event held at...
Donald Carr, Andy Chan and Scot Diamond awarded the Queen Elizabeth II Diamond Jubilee Medal
Miller Thomson is pleased to congratulate Donald Carr, Andy Chan and Scot Diamond on receiving the Queen Elizabeth II Diamond Jubilee Medal. The award is part of the 2012 celebrations of the 60th anniversary of the Queen’s accession to the...
Andy Chan is elected to the Board of Directors of Markham Stouffville Hospital.
Miller Thomson lawyers speak at Toronto Blockchain Impact Investment Summit
Miller Thomson co-hosts the 2018 Toronto Blockchain Impact Investment Summit, which brings together key industry players to engage, discuss future trends and share valuable insight on the state of blockchain technology and the token economy. The event is expected to attract over...
Andy Chan moderates session at Canada-China Cultural Dialogue
Andy Chan moderates a session titled, “Our Future – Navigating Business in Divergent Cultures” at the Canada-China Cultural Dialogue.
Andy Chan will be speaking on a panel at the China Business Workshop on “Attracting Chinese Investment”
The China Business Workshop offers real-life practical solutions to many of the issues that Canadian companies face when doing business in China. The focus for the panel discussion is “Attracting China Investment”. Andy is head of Miller Thomson’s national Global...
Miller Thomson lawyers present Q&A session on food manufacturing and processing
Greg Hertzberger, Robin-Lee Norris, Kristina Shaw and Andy Chan present to the Business Investment and Development Unit of the Ontario Ministry of Agriculture and Food (OMAF) in a question/answer session pertaining to the food manufacturing and processing industry.
Andy Chan is selected as a delegate to the 2013 Ontario Trade Mission to China.
Andy Chan co-hosts and speaks at the Canada-China Business Seminar in Shanghai, China.
Andy Chan hosts and speaks at a press conference and opening event with Minister Brad Duguid (Economic Development and Innovation), Minister Michael Chan (Culture, Tourism and Sport) and representatives from the Canadian Embassy (Beijing) with respect to a significant investment into Ontario by a Chinese POE with operations in Liaoning, Jilin Province and the Dayaowan Free Trade Zone.
Andy Chan presents to the Governor of XuanWu District (Nanjing City) with respect to considerations for Canadian Inbound Investment by Foreign Entities.
Andy Chan and Eugene Gierczak present to the Vice-Governor of Jiangsu Province, the Deputy Consul General and their respective contingents on Canadian corporate and intellectual property law hosted by the Premier’s Office and the Ontario Office of International Relations and Protocol.
Andy Chan, Jim Hutchinson and Wendy Hulton speak at the Multilaw Americas Regional Conference in Ohio, United States of America.
Sorry. Your search returned no results. Please edit your search criteria and try again.
Chapter in Miller Thomson’s Business Laws of Canada, all editions 2009-2015.
Chapter in Miller Thomson’s Business Laws of Canada.
The Decision to Block the ATK/MDA Deal
National Instrument 51-102 – Changes to Requirements of Reporting Issuers to File Material Contracts
Wisdom Education completes HK$796 million IPO
Canadian counsel to Wisdom Education International Holdings Company Limited