Andy Chan is Managing Partner of the Vaughan and Markham offices of Miller Thomson LLP. He is also co-chair of the International Business Transactions Group, and national chair of the firm’s Asia Practice. Andy’s specialized global cross-border practice includes providing counsel to international and domestic clients on corporate law, mergers and acquisitions, investments, structurings and financings.
Andy is a recipient of the Queen Elizabeth II Diamond Jubilee Medal for outstanding contributions to Canada. He was also named Leading Canadian Corporate Lawyer to Watch by Lexpert magazine in its Guide to the Leading US/Canada Cross-Border Corporate Lawyers in Canada, and he is a past winner of the Lexpert Rising Star Award. He is recognized as a Martindale-Hubbell AV Preeminent ® Rated Lawyer and is also regularly listed in The Canadian Legal Lexpert Directory as a repeatedly recommended lawyer in the area of Corporate Commercial Law. More recently, in 2019, Andy received the FACL Lawyer of Distinction Award for significant accomplishments in the law and for service to the legal profession, areas of social justice and the community.
He is appointed by the government as one of a select number of legal experts to the Business Law and Burden Reduction Council to advise the Ministry of Government and Consumer Services, the Ministry of the Attorney General and the Ministry of Finance with respect to all aspects of corporate and commercial legislative reform.
Andy’s areas of focus include business law, related corporate and regulatory matters, financial services and strategic business immigration in a variety of sectors, including manufacturing, real estate development, technology, healthcare, insurance and natural resources. He has counselled public and private multinational organizations, corporate and commercial enterprises as well as individual clients in North America, Europe, and Asia conducting or seeking to conduct business in Canada, and Canadian businesses analyzing or implementing their options in the global markets.
Andy is also active in the area of government relations, wherein he advises on strategic, public policy and compliance issues relating to all levels of government, including the development of business inbound structures coupled with corporate, immigration and related strategies utilizing applicable federal or provincial incentive programs.
Having worked overseas at a “Magic Circle” English law firm, and then practicing for several years as a commercial litigator in Canada, Andy is able to leverage his knowledge of adversarial processes and international and domestic markets to accurately anticipate and respond to the most sensitive of circumstances. In addition, Andy’s experience before all levels of Courts in Ontario, as well as numerous federal and provincial tribunals, including the Competition Tribunal, allows him to assist clients navigate a variety of strategic challenges in harmony with their overall business objectives.
Andy is licensed to practice law in Ontario and British Columbia.
Professional achievements & leadership
- Canadian Legal Lexpert Directory, Corporate Commercial Law, 2020
- Appointment to the Business Law and Burden Reduction Council to advise the Ministry of Government and Consumer Services, the Ministry of the Attorney General and the Ministry of Finance with respect to corporate/commercial legislative reform, 2019 – present
- FACL Lawyer of Distinction Award, 2019
- Appointment as legal expert to Business Law Advisory Council, 2016 – 2018
- Recognized in The Canadian Legal Lexpert Directory as a repeatedly recommended lawyer across Canada in the area of Corporate Commercial Law, 2014 – present
- Martindale-Hubbell AV Preeminent® Rated Lawyer, 2014 – present
- Recipient of the Markham Board of Trade’s Business Excellence Award for achievement in business and professional life, as well as contribution to the community, 2014
- Awarded ASPIRE (Achieving Social & Professional Ideals, Reaching Excellence) award in recognition of next generation business leaders, 2014
- Named Leading Canadian Corporate Lawyer to Watch – Lexpert Guide to the Leading US/Canada Cross-Border Corporate Lawyers in Canada, 2013
- Recipient of Lexpert Rising Star Award – Top Canadian Lawyers under 40, 2012
- Recipient of Queen Elizabeth II Diamond Jubilee Medal awarded for outstanding contributions to Canada in commemoration of Her Majesty’s accession to the throne, 2012
- Counsel to Royal Bank of Canada as administrative agent, RBC Capital Markets as sole lead arranger and a syndicate of lenders in connection with an initial $400 million senior revolving commitment with an additional $400 million available through an accordion feature with Tim Hortons Inc. and the TDL Group Corp. as guarantor to provide interim financing to fund the borrower’s share buyback program
- Counsel to various Chinese enterprises with operations in Liaoning, Jilin Province and the Dayaowan Free Trade Zone, including in relation to $100 million investment in Canada through the acquisition, development and management of enterprises engaged in the processing, wholesale and distribution of specified primary resources
- Counsel to Fortune Future Holdings Limited, in relation to private placement of shares of Gowest Gold Ltd., a Canadian publicly listed gold exploration and development company focused on the delineation and development of the North Timmins Gold Project
- Counsel to The Bank of Nova Scotia as administrative agent, J.P. Morgan Chase Bank, N.A. as syndication agent and syndicate of lenders in connection with a $250 million senior revolving commitment with an additional $150 million available through a commitment increase right with Tim Hortons Inc. and the TDL Group Corp. as borrower
- Advised Meitu Investment ltd. (a wholly-owned subsidiary of Meitu, inc.) with respect to the acquisition from Dream Beyond Holdings Limited (a wholly-owned subsidiary of Leyou Technology Holdings Limited) of a minority interest in Dreamscape Horizon Limited and its wholly-owned subsidiary, Digital Extremes US Inc., for total consideration of HK $2,686,577,470.
- Counsel to numerous foreign and local enterprises in the structuring, acquisition, development and operations of various high-end commercial and industrial properties and businesses across Canada in excess of $75 million
- Engaged in the structuring, development and implementation of a complex corporate, intellectual property and immigration strategy for the establishment of a seriers of high-end food services businesses, which resulted in the first Michelin-starred chef to situate in Toronto on a permanent basis.
- Canadian counsel to Wisdom International Holdings Company Limited, a Chinese private school operation, with respect to its HK$796.3 million Initial Public Offering
- Acted for St. Joseph Print Group Inc. in its strategic acquisition of personalized marketing firm, Bassett Direct, to deepen St. Joseph’s direct mail offerings into its Interconnected Communication Solutions across all mediums
- Canadian counsel to China Maple Leaf Education Systems Limited, a China-based international school, in relation to its Hong Kong Stock Exchange Initial Public Offering of approximately US $123 million
- Acted for Mongolian-based enterprises with respect to the structuring of Canadian inbound corporate strategy, including the establishment of several special purpose acquisition entities for the acquisition of various assets in Canada with an aggregate value exceeding $50 million
- Canadian counsel to J.P. Morgan-led syndicate of underwriters in connection with $350 million senior convertible notes issuance by Biovail Corporation in Canada and the United States
- Counsel on acquisition of an interest in a Canadian resource company for $30 million using a Southeast Asian joint venture vehicle
- Lender’s counsel in connection with approximate $40 million asset-based lending transaction involving manufacturing assets located in Canada and the United States
- Common lenders counsel in connection with a $378 million limited recourse financing of a toll road in Manila, Philippines
- Counsel to private investment fund in connection with a series of acquisitions and divestitures further to a specified insolvency strategy
- Counsel to an acceptance corporation in connection with a cross-border reorganization of its business
- Counsel to a publicly traded technology-based travel services provider in connection with its entry into all Canadian Provinces and Territories, including the acquisition of strategic assets
- Business Laws of Canada, West (a Thomson Reuters business), 2009 – present
- Speaker, Canada-China FTA Forum (Jiangsu International Business Association of Canada), 2016 – 2018
- Quoted, Chinese Detentions raises fears of Canadian business chill, rethink of travel plans (CBC News); Second Canadian questioned in China as Huawei fallout continues (Bloomberg News), December 13, 2018
- Opening remarks, (Toronto Blockchain Impact Summit), September 28, 2018
- Speaker, NAFTA and the Future of Trade – Impacting Your Business (Vaughan Economic Summit), September 27, 2018
- Presenter, Ontario Chamber of Commerce Investment and Trade Conference, 2016
- Co-chair, presenter and moderator of the 4th Annual Canada-China Cultural Dialogue, 2015
- Panel Speaker, Cross Border Legal Considerations (FACL), 2014 – 2015
- Panel Speaker, Roundtable Working Breakfast with the Minister of Citizenship and Immigration and Ontario’s Business Leaders in partnership with the Ontario Chamber of Commerce for the development and transformation of policies related to inbound investment and business immigration, 2013
- Panel Speaker, China Business Workshop for Attracting Chinese Investment (Canada Chinese Business Council), 2013
- Presenter, Business Investment and Development Unit (Ontario Ministry of Agriculture and Food), 2013
- Co-chair and Speaker, Annual Business and Securities Law and Practice Conference (Insight), 2010 – 2012
- Panel Speaker, Business in the Americas (Multilaw) in Ohio, USA, 2012
- Co-host and Speaker at the Canada-China Business Seminar in Shanghai, China, 2012
- Host and Speaker at a press conference and opening event, together with Minister of Economic Development and Innovation, Minister of Culture, Tourism and Sport and representatives from the Canadian Embassy (Beijing) with respect to a significant investment into Ontario by a Chinese enterprise with operations in Liaoning, Jilin Province and the Dayaowan Free Trade Zone, 2012
- Presenter to the Governor of XuanWu District (Nanjing City) with respect to the considerations for Canadian Inbound Investment by Foreign Entities, 2012
- Co-presenter to the Vice-Governor of Jiangsu Province, the Deputy Consul General and their respective contingents on Canadian corporate and intellectual property law hosted by the Premier’s Office and the Ontario Office of International Relations and Protocol, 2012
- The Decision to Block the ATK/MDA Deal, Business Law in Canada: Recent Developments, 2008
- National Instrument 51-102 – Changes to Requirements of Reporting Issuers to File Material Contracts, Business Law in Canada: Recent Developments, 2008
- Cried Because I Had No Shoes – (CAEM), 2002
- Competition Law in Canada, 1999
- International Bar Association
- Canadian Bar Association
- Founding Director, China-Canada Economic Growth Alliance, 2016 – present
- Founding Director, Jiangsu International Business Association of Canada, 2012 – present
- Member, York Region Police District Community Liaison Committee, 2016 – 2018
- Advisory Board, Canadian General Counsel Awards, 2014 – 2015
- Director, Markham Stouffville Hospital, 2012 – 2014
- Past President and Director, Markham, Richmond Hill and Vaughan Chinese Business Association, 2005 – present
Bar admissions & education
- British Columbia Bar, 2015
- Ontario Bar, 2002
- Juris Doctor, Osgoode Hall Law School, York University, 2000
- Bachelor of Arts (Commerce), Rotman School of Business, University of Toronto, 1997