Andrew Cohen is a member of our Business Law Group and focuses his practice on mergers and acquisitions. However, in response to the needs of his clients, he has acquired significant expertise in a wide range of commercial matters, including shareholder agreements and disputes, licensing and distribution agreements, gaming, lending and security arrangements, sports law and information technology.
Andrew is a member of the Bars of the provinces of Quebec and Ontario and is, therefore, able to provide advice in matters related to both jurisdictions. In addition, he has acted as lead counsel in a number of multijurisdictional transactions involving companies located in the United States, Mexico and Europe. Andrew has acted as an officer or director of several subsidiaries of multinational companies doing business in Canada. Andrew also sat on the Board of Directors of the TSX-listed Canadian fashion retailer, Le Chateau Inc., where he acted as Chair of its Governance Committee.
Andrew is AV® PreeminentTM Peer Review Rated by Martindale-Hubbell, the highest peer review rating awarded to a lawyer for his legal skills and sense of ethics.
In 2017, Andrew was named “Dealmaker of the Year – M&A Legal Advisor” by the M&A Club Canada.
Andrew is also recognized as a leading lawyer by Best Lawyers in Canada (in Mergers and Acquisitions) and by the Canadian Legal Lexpert Directory (in Corporate Commercial Law).
Professional achievements & leadership
- Canadian Legal Lexpert Directory – Corporate Commercial Law, 2020-2021
- The Best Lawyers in Canada – Mergers & Acquisitions Law, 2018-2021
- Dealmaker of the Year – M&A Legal Advisor, M&A Club Canada, 2017
- AV® PreeminentTM Peer Review Rated, Martindale-Hubbell
- Advised Digital Colony of Boca Raton, Florida in connection with its Cdn. $720 million acquisition of the Canadian connectivity services and data center businesses of Cogeco Communications Inc.
- Advised Charter Oak Equity, L.P., of Westport, Connecticut, in the recapitalization, in conjunction with the Fonds de solidarité des travailleurs du Québec (the “Fonds”), of Licaplast Industries – Emballages Inc. of Montréal, Quebec and the subsequent “add on” acquisition by Licaplast of M’Plast Inc.
- Advised LRBG Chemicals Inc. in connection with its management buyout of the resin business of Rayonier, located in Longueuil, Quebec and Toledo, Ohio
- Advised Groupe Marcelle Inc. in connection with its acquisition of Lise Watier Cosmétiques Inc.
- Advised Hakuhodo DY Holdings Inc. of Japan in connection with its acquisition of Sid Lee International Inc. of Montréal, Quebec and subsequent “add on” transactions
- Advised the majority shareholder of Davids Tea Inc. in connection with its initial public offering on NASDAQ
- Advised Valmont Industries, Inc. (NYSE: VMI) in connection with its acquisition of the custom steel galvanizing business of PMT Industries Limited of Ontario
- Advised SciQuest, Inc. (NASDAQ:SQI) in connection with its acquisition of the business of Upside Software Inc. of Edmonton, Alberta
- Advised 5N Plus Inc. (TSX: VNP) in connection with its €235M acquisition of MCP Group SA of Belgium
- Advised TransForce Inc. (TSX: TFI) in connection with its acquisition of the domestic business of DHL Express (Canada) Ltd.
- Acted as Canadian Counsel to River Associates Investments, LLC in connection with its acquisition of KK Precision, Inc. of Toronto, Ontario
- Advised the Canadian Legal Information Institute (“CanLII”) in connection with its acquisition of LexUM Inc.
- Advised Victoria Square Ventures Inc. in connection with its private placements in Bellus Health Inc. (TSX: BLU)
- Advised Power Corporation of Canada (TSX: POW) in connection with the sale of its shares in ViroChem Pharma Inc. to Vertex Pharmaceuticals (Canada) Inc.
- Advised Metso Corp. of Helsinki, Finland in connection with its acquisition of the GE Hydro facility located in Lachine, Quebec
- Advised Canada Health Infoway Inc. in connection with its initial funding agreement with the Government of Canada
- Advised the shareholders of “AskMen.com” in connection with the sale of the company to a subsidiary of IGN Entertainment
- Advised the shareholders of “Dormez-Vous” in connection with the sale of the company to Sleep Country Canada Inc.
- American Bar Association
- Association for Corporate Growth
- Canadian Bar Association
Bar admissions & education
- Ontario Bar, 1991
- Quebec Bar, 1987
- B.C.L / LL.B., McGill University, 1986
- B.A., McGill University, 1982