Michael Walker practices in the area of commercial real estate law. He advises clients involved in property acquisition, financing and development, construction, condominium law, leasing, and landlord and tenant law.
His clients include developers, strata corporations, lending institutions, investors, public sector, and not-for-profit organizations.
Mike is involved in all aspects of commercial, residential and resort development, including site acquisition, zoning and approvals, project financing, subdivision and marketing.
He also has specific expertise in condominium issues, advising clients on issues ranging from day-to-day strata corporation operations to complex redevelopments and multi-phased projects.
Mike is a member of the editorial board for the British Columbia Strata Property Practice Manual, which was published by CLE BC in 2008. He authored chapters on "Governance" and "The Strata Plan". In 2009, the publication received the Award for Professional Excellence in the Best Publications category, given by the Association for Continuing Legal Education (ACLEA).
Before joining the legal profession, Mike worked in a number of roles dealing primarily with urban policy and non-market housing development.
- B. Comm., University of Alberta, 1995
- LL.B., University of British Columbia, 2000
- Member, Canadian Bar Association
- Editorial board member and contributing author, British Columbia Strata Property Practice Manual, Continuing Legal Education Society of BC, 2008
- Strata Property 2013: Borrowing, Continuing Legal Education Society of BC, 2013
- Notices of Lease in B.C., Leasing Times, November 1, 2010
- Bill 8 - The Strata Property Amendment Act (BC), 2009: An Update, Miller Thomson Client Alert, 2010
- Bill 8 - The Strata Property Amendment Act (BC), 2009, Miller Thomson Client Alert, 2009
- Property Tax Exemption Upheld, Charities and Not-for-Profit Newsletter, February 2004
- Expanded Property Tax Exemption for Charities, Charities and Not-for-Profit Newsletter, May 2003
Key Practice Expertise
Areas of Focus
- Resort and Hotel, Condominium Developments
Year of Call
- British Columbia Bar, 2001