Michael Kirk is an experienced litigator who has worked with multi-national, national and local clients in a wide variety of areas. Michael provides practical and effective legal advice and strategies to assist clients in matters involving product liability defence, construction, insurance defence and contractual matters.
Michael provides pragmatic advice and counsel in a number of areas, including:
- Product Liability Defence – motor vehicle product liability defence, including class action claims
- Insurance Defence – handling matters relating to insurance defence
- Administrative Law – judicial review matters arising from administrative decisions of regulatory bodies
- Construction Litigation – matters before the court, as well as arbitrations
- Estate Litigation – involvement in contentious estate matters, requiring court intervention
- Shareholder Disputes – oppression and related disputes on contentious matters
- Planning and Development Matters – appeals of development decisions to SDABs, as well as prosecution of expropriation matters
Michael is a sessional lecturer at the University of Alberta Faculty of Law in Trial Advocacy. He is also a member of the Real Estate Council of Alberta hearing tribunal as a Public Member, and the Chair of the St. Albert Subdivision and Development Appeal Board.
Michael was previously senior counsel – litigation for one of Canada’s largest telecommunications company. In that role, he provided efficient and effective legal service to internal clients and to member of the Executive Leadership team, including during a work stoppage.
Michael was also western region counsel for Canada’s largest railway, working as part of the Western Region management team. He also was working with system operations providing legal advice and assistance on claims, security, OH & S, operations and regulatory matters. Michael was also counsel for a fatality inquiry.
Michael is actively engaged in his community. He is presently the Vice President of the Board of Edmonton Meals on Wheels, and participates in many charitable and volunteer activities serving on boards and volunteering in fundraising and volunteer activities. He was also appointed as a public member to the RECA (Real Estate Council of Alberta) hearing tribunal and has served as a member and is the current Chair of the St. Albert Subdivision and Development Appeal Board.
Professional achievements & leadership
- Member of Section Executive, CBA Administrative Law North, 2020
- Member of Section Executive, CBA Civil Litigation North, 2017 – 2019
- Evaluator or Oral Advocacy, Negotiations and Client Interviewing, CPLED Course (Bar Admission), 2015 – 2019
- Member, CBA Agenda for Justice Committee, 2016 – 2018
- Provincial Council Member, CBA Alberta, 2016 – 2017
- Sessional Lecturer, University of Alberta Faculty of Law, Trial Advocacy
- Presenter with member of the Bench, 2019 CBA Inns of Courts program on “Practical tips of efficient and effective litigation.”
- Vice President, Edmonton Meals on Wheels Board of Directors, 2017 – Present
- President and Team Volunteer, Fastball St. Albert, 2008 – 2018
- Board Member, St. Albert Ringette, 2010 – 2012
- City of St. Albert Unsung Hero Award Recipient, 2014
- Participant in Fundraising and Volunteering for ALS Society, MS Society, United Way and Habitat for Humanity, Present
- Board Member and President, Kara Family Support Centre Society (now Kara Family Resource Centre), 1997 – 2000
- Board Member, Triathlon Alberta, 2018
- Member, Law Society of Alberta
- Member, Law Society of Northwest Territories
- Member, Canadian Bar Association
- Member, Advocates Society
Bar admissions & education
- Alberta Bar, 1991
- Northwest Territories Bar, 1994
- Nunavut Bar (Inactive), 1999
- Bachelor of Laws, University of Alberta Faculty of Law, 1990 – Dean’s List in second year, with third year as a visiting student at the University of Manitoba – Faculty of Law – received the Rogers Bereskin & Parr prize in Intellectual Property for the highest mark in Intellectual Property.
- Bachelor of Arts, University of Manitoba, 1987 – Major in Political Studies and minor in Canadian History, Dean’s List standing in third and fourth years