Lisa Sim is a partner with Miller Thomson LLP. Lisa practises intellectual property law with a focus on protecting, commercializing, and managing the intellectual assets of her clients. She is a registered patent agent in Canada and the United States, as well as a registered Canadian trademark agent.
Lisa’s practice encompasses all aspects of intellectual property law with extensive experience in obtaining patent, industrial design, and trademark protection worldwide, conducting intellectual property due diligence and technology audits, managing intellectual property disputes including assessing patent infringement and validity risks and supporting intellectual property litigation, assisting organizations to manage their intellectual property portfolios, as well as advising on licensing matters and related contractual agreements.
Lisa provides legal services to clients that include small-to-medium enterprises (SME), universities, research institutions, and sole inventors. Lisa is committed to providing business-focused and cost-effective solutions that align with her clients’ business objectives. She has been recognized by her peers in legal directories such as The Best Lawyers in Canada.
Prior to pursuing a career in law, Lisa completed graduate work in microbiology. She then worked for several years as IP counsel at other leading intellectual property law firms before joining Miller Thomson.
Professional achievements & leadership
- The Best Lawyers in Canada – Intellectual Property Law, 2019 – 2022; Information Technology Law, 2021 – 2022
- Registered Patent Agent, Canada and the United States
- Registered Trademark Agent, Canada
- Training Committee, Canadian Glycomics Network (GlycoNet)
- “Patents in the Research Environment,” Canadian Glycomics Symposium, May 2016
- “Managing and Protecting Intellectual Assets,” co presented with Aiyaz Alibhai, Miller Thomson webinar, September 2015
- “Intellectual Property: Who Owns It,” Faculty of Health Sciences, University of Manitoba, June 2013
- “Turning Innovation into Revenue: Strategic Use of Patents and Trade Secrets,” entrepreneurship@UBC, June 2012
- “Strategic Use of Intellectual Property,” co presented with Clare Salisbury and Karen Binder, Investor Ready Workshop, Vancouver, Feb 23, 2012
- “Patents: The Importance of Good Research Practices,” Faculty of Pharmaceutical Sciences Graduate Program, University of British Columbia, May 2012, 2013, 2014
- “Patents: The Importance of Good Research Practices,” Alberta Glycomics Centre Workshop, University of Alberta, February 2013
- “Ownership and Protection of Intellectual Property and Knowledge Capital,” Advanced Human Resources Management in a Hot Economic Climate, Insight Conference, November 2006
- “Canadian First Filing: Something Worth Considering,” co-authored with Daniel Polonenko, Life Sciences & Law Current Issues, 2014
- “A Balancing Act: Innovation and the Regulatory-Approval Exemption,” co-authored with Gloria Hsi, Life Sciences & Law Current Issues, 2013
- “Don’t Delay: Global Considerations For Patent Assignments,” co-authored with Gloria Hsi, Life Sciences & Law Current Issues, 2012
- “The U.S. Shift to First-to-File: What it Means for Your Patent Strategy,” co-authored with Emma Macfarlane, Life Sciences & Current Issues, 2012
- Canadian Bar Association
- Intellectual Property Institute of Canada
- International Trademark Association
Bar admissions & education
- British Columbia, 2000
- LL.B., University of Victoria, 1999
- M.Sc. (biology), University of Waterloo, 1995
- BSc. (microbiology), University of Alberta, 1992