Lisa Sim practises intellectual property law with a focus on protecting, commercializing, and managing the intellectual assets of her clients. Her practice has a particular emphasis on patent matters that span a range of industries including biotechnology, health, agriculture and energy.
As a registered patent agent, Lisa has significant experience in the preparation and prosecution of patents and assists clients with the strategic design and management of their intellectual property portfolios. She also has experience in conducting intellectual property due diligence and assisting in patent disputes, including assessing patent infringement and validity risks.
Lisa provides legal services to clients that include universities, research institutions, small-to-medium enterprises (SME), and sole inventors. Lisa is committed to providing business-focused and cost-effective solutions that align with her clients’ business objectives.
Lisa is actively involved in initiatives for commercially translating university-based research and innovation. She works closely with national research networks that involve national and international partners to bridge the translation gap between research and industry.
Lisa frequently speaks on various intellectual property issues and has delivered presentations and seminars to academics, students, researchers, and public forums. She has also taught classes in ethics and intellectual property at the Faculty of Pharmaceutical Sciences at the University of British Columbia.
Prior to pursuing a career in law, Lisa completed graduate work in microbiology. Lisa then worked for several years as IP counsel and patent agent at other leading intellectual property law firms before joining Miller Thomson.
Professional achievements & leadership
- The Best Lawyers in Canada – Intellectual Property Law, 2019
- Registered Patent Agent, Canada and the United States
- Training Committee member, Canadian Glycomics Network (GlycoNet)
- “Patents in the Research Environment,” Canadian Glycomics Symposium, May 2016
- “Managing and Protecting Intellectual Assets,” co presented with Aiyaz Alibhai, Miller Thomson webinar, September 2015
- “Intellectual Property: Who Owns It,” Faculty of Health Sciences, University of Manitoba, June 2013
- “Turning Innovation into Revenue: Strategic Use of Patents and Trade Secrets,” entrepreneurship@UBC, June 2012
- “Strategic Use of Intellectual Property,” co presented with Clare Salisbury and Karen Binder, Investor Ready Workshop, Vancouver, Feb 23, 2012
- “Patents: The Importance of Good Research Practices,” Faculty of Pharmaceutical Sciences Graduate Program, University of British Columbia, May 2012, 2013, 2014
- “Patents: The Importance of Good Research Practices,” Alberta Glycomics Centre Workshop, University of Alberta, February 2013
- “Ownership and Protection of Intellectual Property and Knowledge Capital,” Advanced Human Resources Management in a Hot Economic Climate, Insight Conference, November 2006
- “Canadian First Filing: Something Worth Considering,” co-authored with Daniel Polonenko, Life Sciences & Law Current Issues, 2014
- “A Balancing Act: Innovation and the Regulatory-Approval Exemption,” co-authored with Gloria Hsi, Life Sciences & Law Current Issues, 2013
- “Don’t Delay: Global Considerations For Patent Assignments,” co-authored with Gloria Hsi, Life Sciences & Law Current Issues, 2012
- “The U.S. Shift to First-to-File: What it Means for Your Patent Strategy,” co-authored with Emma Macfarlane, Life Sciences & Current Issues, 2012
- Canadian Bar Association
- Intellectual Property Institute of Canada
- International Trademark Association
Bar admissions & education
- British Columbia, 2000
- LL.B., University of Victoria, 1999
- M.Sc. (biology), University of Waterloo, 1995
- BSc. (microbiology), University of Alberta, 1992
Miller Thomson lawyers recognized in The Best Lawyers in Canada 2019
In the just released 2019 edition of The Best Lawyers in Canada, 144 Miller Thomson lawyers from across the country have been recognized for their expertise in 47 areas of law. This includes 6 lawyers who were awarded “Lawyer of the Year” in...
Getting the Deal Through – Agribusiness 2017 now available
The 2017 edition of Getting the Deal Through – Agribusiness (Law Business Research) is now available. This comprehensive guide covers the latest developments and trends, providing expert analysis and insight into agricultural laws and regulations worldwide, in a simple-to-read Q&A...
Lisa Sim speaks on microbiome technologies
Lisa Sim presents “Microbiome Technologies: Protecting the Innovation” at The Gairdner & University of Calgary Symposium on Precision Medicine and the Microbiome.
Lisa Sim presents patents webinar
Lisa Sim presents a webinar on “Understanding Patents in the Academic Environment” as part of GlycoNet’s SMRTS (Sharing Multi-network Resources for Trainee Success) seminars program.
Sorry. Your search returned no results. Please edit your search criteria and try again.
Canadian First Filing: Something Worth Considering
Life Sciences & Law Current Issues, co-authored with Daniel Polonenko
2014/15 Issue Click here to view
A Balancing Act: Innovation and the Regulatory-Approval Exemption
Life Sciences & Law Current Issues, 2013/14 Issue
Co-authored with Gloria Hsi. Click here to view
Don’t Delay: Global Considerations For Patent Assignments
Life Sciences & Law Current Issues, 2012/13
Co-authored with Gloria Hsi. Click here to view
The U.S. Shift to First-to-File: What it Means for Your Patent Strategy
Life Sciences & Current Issues, 2012/13
Co-authored with Emma Macfarlane.
Trakopolis closes brokered private placement
Counsel to the syndicate of agents led by Canaccord Genuity Inc.
Hemostemix completes private placement of subscription receipts and rights offering
Counsel to PI Financial Corp.
RYU Apparel closes short form prospectus offering
Counsel to the agent Canaccord Genuity Corp.
Invictus MD closes $25 million bought deal private placement
Counsel to the underwriters
Invictus MD closes $16.2 million bought deal private placement
Counsel to the underwriters Canaccord Genuity Corp. and Eventus Capital Corp.