Kristina Roberts is passionate about helping build impactful and sustainable social purpose organizations. She works to understand the needs of her clients from a holistic perspective. Kristina strives to provide valuable legal advice that is practical and accessible.
Kristina is a member of the Social Impact group at Miller Thomson. She provides general advice to charities, non-profits, and social enterprises. She has a particular interest in developing innovative structures for social enterprises.
Areas of focus:
- Bylaws/ Articles of Association
- Charitable Registrations
- Tax Compliance
- Governance Policies
Through her involvement with a charitable organization, Kristina spearheaded the development of an interactive online tool designed to help organizations and entrepreneurs select an appropriate legal structure for a social enterprise.
Kristina has written and spoken on legal structures for social enterprises through incubator programs and the Haskayne School of Business. She was involved with the Legacy Leadership Lab and the Waterloo Institute for Social Innovation and Resilience, with whom she is collaborating on an academic research paper on legal forms for social enterprises and social acquisitions.
In law school, Kristina authored a directed research paper titled “Legal Possibilities for Social Entrepreneurs in Alberta.”
Kristina articled at a regional firm in Calgary and worked as an associate in the municipal group.
Prior to law school, Kristina worked as a project manager at a community investment consulting firm, helping to strengthen funding relationships between corporations and community organizations.
Kristina previously worked for, and remains an active volunteer with, IntegralOrg. IntegralOrg is a charitable organization that works to build capacity in the charitable, non-profit, and social enterprise sectors in Alberta.
Kristina has written frequently on legal structures for social enterprises.
- Thrive Incubator Program (Momentum), 2018 – 2019
- Civil Claims Duty Counsel, Pro Bono Law Alberta, 2018 – 2019
- Clinical Student, Public Interest Law Clinic, 2016 – 2017
- Indigenous Youth Outreach Mentor, Pro Bono Students Canada, 2015 – 2016
- Conference Organizing Committee Member, Canadian Association of Environmental Law Societies, 2015 – 2016
Bar admissions & education
- Alberta Bar, 2019
- Juris Doctor, University of Calgary, 2018
- Professional Certificate in Community Economic Development, Simon Fraser University, 2014
- Partnership Brokers Training Level 1 Certificate, Partnership Brokers Association, 2014
- Bachelor of Commerce, Marketing Major (Dean’s List), University of Calgary, 2012