Jean Leonard focuses on real estate in her corporate and commercial law practice. Jean represents clients in all aspects of real estate law including purchases, sales, land development, secured lending transactions, and commercial leases. Jean works for and with municipalities in relation to land-development matters including subdivision and site plan approvals, expropriations, and land-use planning. Jean also has a depth of experience in corporate and commercial matters including incorporations, mergers and acquisitions, and negotiating and drafting complex commercial agreements.
Jean often assists her Miller Thomson colleagues when a transaction involves real estate. With her strong background in general corporate and commercial matters, Jean understands how real estate assets can form an integral part of an overall transaction. Jean also has insight into the regulatory framework for land development through her municipal work.
Transactions and leasing: representing purchasers, sellers, landlords, and tenants of commercial properties, together with lenders and borrowers in secured lending transactions.
Municipal and planning: acting for municipalities and developers in relation to land-development matters.
Jean often makes presentations to municipal councils in relation to land development issues and general municipal matters. She also presents seminars to the business community on real estate law and commercial issues.
Jean has deep roots in the Waterloo Region and believes in giving back to the community. She has served on many boards including the Cambridge and North Dumfries Community Foundation and the Kitchener-Waterloo YWCA. Jean is also a former member of Zonta International.
Professional achievements & leadership
- The Best Lawyers in Canada – Banking and Finance Law, 2019-2021
- Canadian Legal Lexpert Directory, Property Leasing, 2020
- Past Director of Kitchener-Waterloo YWCA
- Past Director of Cambridge and North Dumfries Community Foundation
- Member, Cambridge Chamber of Commerce
- Member, Canadian and Ontario Bar Associations
- Member, Law Society of Ontario
- Member, Greater KW Chamber of Commerce
- Member, Communitech
- Member, Shade’s Mill Law Association
- Former Member, Zonta International
Bar admissions & education
- Ontario Bar, 2004
- LL.B., University of Victoria
- B.A., University of Guelph