Howard's practice focuses on estate litigation and in-person and online mediation of estates disputes with extensive experience in all aspects of estate planning and administration. In addition to a busy estate litigation and mediation practice, Howard provides estate planning advice and advises on wills and powers of attorney to middle and high net-worth individuals in person and using digital means.
Howard is passionate about the law and about giving back to the legal community. He is a regular speaker and contributor to legal education programs sponsored by the Law Society of Ontario, the Ontario Bar Association, as well as other organizations. Howard has published three editions of Wills and Estates: Cases, Text, and Materials. Howard is also ranked by his peers as a "Consistently Recommended" lawyer in the The Canadian Legal Lexpert Directory and is recognized in Best Lawyers in Canada.
Clients appreciate Howard's ability to explain complex issues and mediate tense and stressful situations. Clients have stated he exhibits integrity, sincerity, wisdom, and 'out of the box' smarts in a manner that all lawyers should emulate.
Professional achievements & leadership
- The Best Lawyers in Canada – Trust and Estates, 2006-2022
- Osgoode Hall Law School Teaching Award, 2003-2004
- Legal and Literary Society Teaching Excellence Award
- Adjunct Professor at Osgoode Hall Law School
- Wills and Estates: Cases, Text, and Materials, 3rd Edition
- President of Beth Tzedec Congregation of Toronto, 2008
- Interim Director of Camp Ramah in Canada, 2002
- Chair of the Estates and Trusts Section Executive of the Canadian Bar Association (Ontario), 2002-2003
- Ontario Bar Association
- Law Society of Ontario
Bar admissions & education
- Ontario Bar, 1985
- L.L.M, Alternative Dispute Resolution, Osgoode Hall Law School, 2001
- J.D, Osgoode Hall Law School, 1983
- B.A, University of Toronto, 1980