Eric Sherkin is a commercial litigation lawyer with a broad range of expertise across many areas of practice, and has appeared before all levels of court in Ontario. His experience touches upon issues including bankruptcy and insolvency, libel and slander, professional negligence, shareholder disputes, and everything in between, with particular emphasis on creditors’ remedies and contract disputes. Apart from fighting for his clients’ rights, Eric has also assisted clients in developing their own internal forward-thinking dispute resolution systems and provided risk management advice.
Eric provides legal services in the areas of:
General commercial litigation: acting for plaintiffs and defendants on all litigation matters, on a strategic and client-focused basis, to achieve optimal results in a pragmatic way.
Creditors’ remedies: acting for creditors in a wide variety of disputes, including breach of contract claims, collections, receiverships, restructurings, recovery of property, and related matters.
Libel and slander: advising and assisting clients in defamation claims, with an emphasis on online defamation including in the social media realm.
Eric served as the supervising editor of the Miller Thomson Litigation Blog, and has published articles on a wide array of topics. He is a co-author of the text Creditors’ Remedies in Ontario, and is also a contributing author to the chapter on receiverships in Canadian Forms and Precedents–Debtor/Creditor.
While in law school, Eric worked at the National Hockey League Players’ Association where he was actively involved in the salary arbitration process and the finalization of the new NHL Collective Bargaining Agreement following the lockout season of 2004-05. Eric is a passionate sports fan and the updating author of the chapter “Professional Athletes” in the publication Entertainment Law in Canada. Eric was also awarded the University of Western Ontario Law School’s Michael Allen Harte Award for combining strong academic achievement with significant contributions to the law school community.
Eric is an active member of his community. He has served as co-chair of the Young Lawyers division of the United Jewish Appeal’s Young Leadership wing, and served two terms as co-chair of the annual ICRF Revolving Tables fundraiser in support of cancer research.
Professional achievements & leadership
- Benchmark Canada, Future Star, 2022 – 2023
- Recognized as a Thomson Reuters Stand-out lawyer, 2023
- Shahbaz v. Mizrahi, 2018 ONSC 1915
- Jo-Zen Investments Limited v. Kung Tai Enterprises (Canada) Ltd., 2017 ONCA 616
- Rishi v. Kakoutis, 2016 ONCA 863
- Haliburton Forest & Wildlife Reserve Ltd. v. Toromont Industries Ltd. et al., 2016 ONSC 3767
- Halliwell v. Lazarus, 2012 ONCA 348
- Re Ieluzzi (#2), 2012 ONSC 1474
- Creditors’ Remedies in Ontario, 3rd ed., LexisNexis, 2013
- Receiverships, Canadian Forms & Precedents–Debtor/Creditor, LexisNexis, 2013
- “Professional Athletes” in Entertainment Law in Canada, LexisNexis, 2010
- Co-Chair, United Jewish Appeal Young Lawyers’ Division
- Co-Chair, Revolving Tables Fundraiser, Israel Cancer Research Fund
- Law Society of Ontario
- Canadian Bar Association
- Ontario Bar Association
- The Advocates’ Society
- Sports Lawyers Association
Bar admissions & education
- Ontario Bar, 2007
- LL.B., Western University, 2006
- B.A. (Honours), Queen’s University, 2003