Dean Chenoy is a partner and co-leader of Miller Thomson’s national Entertainment and Media team. His practice focuses on media and entertainment law, specifically film, television, publishing, virtual reality and video gaming. Dean has extensive experience in production and project financing, content convergence, international and interprovincial co-productions, protection of intellectual property, and talent negotiation.
Dean has acted as counsel to Hollywood studios, video game publishers and developers, Canadian broadcasters and distributors, Internet content providers, independent production companies, and lenders based in Canada, the U.S., and the U.K. involved in the financing of film and television projects.
Dean has been a lecturer at the Faculty of Law of McGill University. He is currently a board member of the Fantasia International Film Festival and the Québec Film and Television Council (QFTC)
Dean has been recognized in the Canadian Legal Lexpert Directory since 2014 for his expertise in entertainment law.
Professional achievements & leadership
- The Best Lawyers in Canada – Entertainment Law, 2015-2019
- Canadian Legal Lexpert Directory – Entertainment Law, 2014-2018
- Listed in the Who’s Who Recommended Global Law Expert Directory, Sports & Entertainment, 2014 and 2016
- Listed in the Lexpert / American Lawyer Guide to the Leading 500 Lawyers in Canada – Entertainment Law
- Listed in Who’s Who Legal – Sports and Entertainment
- The Osgoode Entertainment program, 2015-2017
- Sixty-Minute Law School for Gamers, November 28, 2014
- Fair Use and Fair Dealing: Where Do We Draw the Line in a Digital Age?, September 12, 2014
- Interactive and Digital Media: The (R)evolution Continues, September 29, 2010
- Québec Film and Television Council
- Fantasia International Film Festival
- Mutek (2006 – 2011)
- La La La Human Steps (2009 – 2011)
- Québec Bar Association
- Canadian Bar Association
Bar admissions & education
- Québec Bar, 1998
- B.C.L./LL.B., McGill University, 1997
- B.A., McGill University, 1989