A fine strategist, Bertrand Giroux is known for his technical efficiency and his tremendous talent as a jurist. With a career spanning more than thirty years, he specializes in insolvency and commercial litigation, and is recognized by his peers for his intelligence, diplomacy and dexterity when tackling complicated matters or in high pressure situations.
Bertrand’s practice focuses on commercial litigation, including shareholders remedies, restructuring and bankruptcy. He advises business people, independent directors, boards of directors, corporations, trustees, court appointed monitors and receivers, secured lenders, etc.
Bertrand specializes in insolvency and commercial litigation. He advises companies on major operational restructurings.
He also has extensive experience in privacy protection, defamation and unfair competition matters, crisis management and commercial litigation mandates in general.
Professional achievements & leadership
- Benchmark Litigation Canada (2021-2023) – Litigation Star
- Best Lawyers (2020-2022) – Insolvency and Financial Restructuring Law; Corporate and Commercial Litigation.
- Lead Counsel of Citox Lab, a French company, for the acquisition of the assets of Lab Research, a company under receivership;
- Lead Counsel of the Icelandic banks Glitnir and Landsbanki concerning Canadian proceedings under Part XIII of the BIA (cross-border insolvencies);
- Lead counsel to a group of aircraft owners in the bankruptcy of Inter-Canadian;
- Lead counsel to the board of directors of Groupe Les Ailes de la Mode Inc. with respect to its restructuring under the Companies Creditors Arrangement Act (“CCAA”);
- Lead counsel to a group of investors with respect to a private placement with Groupe Les Ailes de la Mode Inc. during its CCAA process;
- Lead counsel to Groupe Bikini Village Inc. with respect to its restructuring under the CCAA;
- Lead counsel to Avance Pharma with respect to its restructuring under the CCAA;
- Appointed special counsel to the Superior Court (amicus curiae) with respect to the liquidation of Norbourg and Evolution Funds;
- Lead counsel to a major corporate retail group in the area of women’s lingerie with respect to its restructuring under the CCAA and the transfer of its commercial activities to other Canadian interests;
- Lead counsel to the interim receiver appointed with respect to Technologies LTrim Inc.;
- Lead counsel to the interim receiver appointed with respect to Solutions Mindready Inc. as well as its Canadian and American subsidiaries.
- Lead counsel with respect to the acquisition of the assets of Position Technologies Inc. during its CCAA process;
- Counsel to important creditors of SR Telecom Inc. with respect to the latter’s restructuring under the CCAA;
- Lead counsel to Groupe Triton Inc. and its subsidiaries in Quebec and Ontario with respect to its restructuring under the CCAA;
- Lead counsel to Blue Note Mining Inc., a public company, with respect to its restructuring under the CCAA;
- Lead counsel to a group of secured creditors of Resources MSV and Resources Campbell with respect to their receivership;
- Expert witness in matters of Canadian bankruptcy and insolvency with respect to a US litigation;
- Lead counsel for Groupe Hexagone as part of its restructuring under the CCAA;
- Counsel to an independent director of a corporation being part of the Cirque du Soleil restructuring under the CCAA.
- Bertrand has been a member of the Liaison Committee with the Superior Court (Commercial Division) for three years.
- He is also a member of the Reading Committee of the National Creditor Debtor Review, a Butterworks publication in the bankruptcy and insolvency fields.
Bar admissions & education
- Barreau du Québec, 1986
- LL.B. Université de Sherbrooke (1985)