( Disponible en anglais seulement )
Colleen Ma's practice focuses on GST/HST and sales tax matters and the taxation of private businesses. She advises clients on corporate structuring and reorganization, succession planning, minimizing taxation on death, and the tax-efficient separation of matrimonial property. She also has experience resolving tax disputes and drafting corporate documents such as unanimous shareholder agreements. She applies her knowledge and experience with federal and provincial sales tax and income tax to blockchain and crypocurrency issues and the cannabis industry.
Prior to joining Miller Thomson, Colleen obtained a Juris Doctor degree from the University of Calgary and a Bachelor of Human Kinetics degree from the University of British Columbia.
Réalisations professionnelles et leadership
- In-Depth Tax Course, Chartered Professional Accountants of Canada, 2018
- In-Depth HST/GST Course, Chartered Professional Accountants of Canada, 2016
- Canadian Tax Foundation Best Newsletter Article by a Young Practitioner, 2015
- Dean’s List, 2012 & 2013
- Ronald D. Bell Scholarship, 2012
- L.H. Fenerty, Q.C. Law Price, 2012
- John McLaren Scholarship, 2012
- Darlene Korola Memorial Award, 2012
- Louise McKinney Scholarship, 2012
- Alberta Law Foundation Bursary, 2011
- Presenter, « Income Taxes », Leave a Legacy – Will Power, October 21, 2017
- Presenter, « Tax Considerations in Developing, Holding and Transferring IP », Canadian Bar Association – Technology & Intellectual Property Section, October 19, 2017
- Canadian Bar Association Real Property Law – Commercial and Residential Section, Presenter “Tax Tips – Real Estate Lawyers”, April 21, 2017.
- Alberta Agriculture and Forestry, Presenter “Family Farms”, February 7, 2017.
- Apportioning the Tax Burden on Death Among Beneficiaries, Canadian Tax Focus, May 2016.
- Draft Legislation on Spouse and Other Trusts, Canadian Tax Highlights, February 2016.
- Estate Plans Involving Trusts Require Review, Canadian Tax Focus, February 2015.
- Spouse Trust: Problems and Solutions, Canadian Tax Focus, August 2014.
- Limitation Periods and the Subjective Element, ABLawg.ca, February 2013.
- Somerset Residents Association, Board Member
- 2010 Olympic Winter Games, Volunteer
- 2009 World Police and Fire Games, Volunteer
- Member, Canadian Tax Foundation
- Member, Canadian Bar Association
- Member, Calgary Bar Association
- Member, Law Society of Alberta
- Member, Federation of Asian Canadian Lawyers
Formation et admission au barreau
- Alberta Bar, 2014
- J.D., University of Calgary, 2013
- B.H.K., University of British Columbia, 2005