Scott Hammel has a litigation practice focused on construction disputes, professional liability, insurance, and general commercial litigation. Scott also advises clients on alternative dispute resolution mechanisms and has participated in mediation and arbitration proceedings.
Scott has represented clients in many complex litigation disputes and has appeared before the Alberta and Saskatchewan Courts of Queen’s Bench and Courts of Appeal, the British Columbia and Nova Scotia Supreme Courts, the Trial and Appellant Divisions of the Federal Court of Canada, and the International Chamber of Commerce Court of Arbitration.
Scott‘s experience draws from a technical background in mechanical engineering. He also had the honour of being the first Albertan to receive articles with the Federal Court of Appeal working for Justice A. Stone.
Professional achievements & leadership
- Benchmark Canada, Litigation Star: Automotive, General Commercial, 2017-2019
- Chambers Canada Recognised Practitioner, Construction, 2019
- Acritas Stars global survey of stand-out lawyers, 2018
- Who’s Who Legal: Construction, 2018
- The Canadian Legal Lexpert Directory, Construction Law, 2013-2019; Litigation – Corporate Commercial, 2018
- The Best Lawyers in Canada, Construction Law, 2010-2019
- Recognized in The International Who’s Who of Business Lawyers, 2013
- Fellow, Canadian College of Construction Lawyers
- Member, Law Society of Alberta
- Member, Canadian Bar Association
- Member, Construction and Insurance Subsections, Canadian Bar Association
- Member, Alberta Construction Association
- Member, Alberta National Resources Association
- Member, Edmonton Trial Lawyers’ Association
Bar admissions & education
- Alberta Bar, 1988
- B.Sc., Mechanical Engineering, University of Alberta, 1989
- LL.B., University of Alberta, 1987