Joanne Biron is the Leader of the Family Law Group in Miller Thomson's Montréal office. In fact, she created this group which includes more than 15 lawyers throughout Canada, thus making Miller Thomson the only national law firm with a family law practice. Joanne represents primarily business people and professionals before all levels of court.
Joanne has in-depth expertise in family law matters, including divorce, legal separation, child custody, alimony, parentage, common-law union contracts, separation of common-law partners, international abduction of children as well as evaluation and division of family estate.
She has provided counsel and pleaded for clients in major divorce proceedings before both the Superior Court of Québec and the Court of Appeal. In addition, she has represented clients in various international legal cases, including individuals whose children had been illegally taken abroad by the other parent.
Professional achievements & leadership
- The Best Lawyers in Canada – Family Law, 2016-2019
- The Canadian Legal Lexpert® Directory – Family Law, 2014-2016
- Joanne has earned a BV Rating (Distinguished) from her peers in the Martindale-Hubbell Peer Review process
- Governor, Fondation du Barreau du Québec
- Fundraising Committee Member, The Kidney Foundation of Canada, Quebec Division (2015-2016)
- Vice-President of the Board of Directors, Suicide Action Montréal (2013-2014)
- Honorary President, fundraising campaign, Suicide Action Montréal (2011-2012)
- Canadian Bar Association
- Bar of Montreal
- Association des avocats et avocates en droit familial du Québec
Bar admissions & education
- Québec Bar, 1981
- LL.L., Université de Montréal, 1980