Brian Whitwham has a diverse litigation practice with an emphasis on complex commercial disputes. He has represented clients at all levels of the Ontario court system on a broad range of matters, including contractual claims, shareholder disputes, commercial leasing disputes, professional negligence actions, and injunction proceedings. He has also served as counsel for clients engaged in multi-jurisdictional class proceedings focused on allegations of conspiracy and price-fixing. Beyond his advocacy work before the courts, Brian has appeared before many regulatory tribunals and administrative boards in defence of clients within professional discipline proceedings, particularly in the health sector. He was recognized as a “Future Star” in the 2020 edition of the Benchmark Litigation Canada rankings.
Prior to joining Miller Thomson in 2014, Brian worked in Toronto at another national law firm, where he managed a broad litigation practice with a focus on civil, corporate commercial, criminal, and regulatory matters.
Brian obtained his Juris Doctorate from Western University in 2010 and was called to the Bar the following year. Before he attended law school, Brian spent several years as a newspaper reporter and his work was recognized both provincially and nationally.
Professional achievements & leadership
- Benchmark Canada, Future Star: Dispute Resolution, 2020
- Dean Ivan C. Rand at Western University, 2010
- Member, Law Society of Ontario
- Member, Ontario Bar Association
- Member, Canadian Bar Association
- Member, Middlesex Law Association
Bar admissions & education
- Ontario Bar, 2011
- J.D., Western University, 2010
- Bachelor of Journalism with Law (combined honours), Carleton University, 2003