( Disponible en anglais seulement )
Eric Johnson is Miller Thomson's Managing Partner in Saskatchewan (Regina and Saskatoon offices) and is a member of the Firm's Executive Committee. Eric is a corporate and commercial lawyer with experience in corporate finance, mergers and acquisitions, and real estate. Eric strives to provide clients with strategic and practical advice in relation to commercial transactions, financing arrangements, corporate reorganizations, shareholder agreements, and general business issues.
Eric works in a variety of industries, including banking & finance, real estate, and agriculture. Eric is the National Co-Leader of Miller Thomson's Agribusiness and Food Production Industry Group, alongside Carol VandenHoek from the firm's Guelph office. Miller Thomson is recognized by Chamber and Partners as the only Band 1 law firm in Canada in the category of Agribusiness: Agriculture & Food Products.
Eric provides pragmatic advice and counsel in a number of areas:
Corporate: Eric has assisted a variety of corporate clients by providing advice in relation to various corporate related issues, including reviewing and drafting commercial contracts and shareholder agreements, and providing advice in on-going business matters.
Mergers & Acquisitions: Eric has advised private-sector corporate clients in relation to mergers and acquisitions in Saskatchewan and abroad, including amalgamations, mergers, corporate reorganizations, restructuring, and purchase and sale transactions.
Financial Services: Eric acts for both banks and credit unions, as well as private lenders. Eric has a broad experience having worked on a diverse array of financing transactions including secured credit facilities and syndicated credit arrangements. Eric has acted on commercial lending transactions in a variety of industries but has particular experience in the agricultural sector as well as in lending for real estate development.
Real Estate: In Eric’s real estate practice he assists clients with buying and selling residential, commercial, industrial, and agricultural real estate, the development of real estate, and leases of real property. Eric has acted for several investors in relation to implementing investment plans for land and property in Saskatchewan.
Insolvency & Restructuring: Eric has acted for a variety of lenders in insolvency related matters. Eric has particular expertise in relation to the agricultural industry and the Saskatchewan Farm Security Act. He has also advised lenders in relation to a variety of forbearance arrangements and corporate workouts.
Réalisations professionnelles et leadership
- Canadian Legal Lexpert Directory, Corporate Commercial Law, 2022
- The Best Lawyers in Canada – Corporate Law, 2021-2022
- Chambers Canada, Corporate/Commercial, 2021-2022
- Lexpert Rising Star, Canada’s Leading Lawyers Under 40, 2021
- Law Reform Commission Representative, CBA Saskatchewan Branch, Business Law Section, 2012-2016
- Harrie, Lauretta, and Raymond Parr Memorial Scholarships, University of Saskatchewan Law School, 2004
- Dr. Donald O. Wells and Deborah Wells International Study Award, 2003
- Eric gained valuable insight into commercial lending and the Canadian agricultural sector while on a secondment with a pan-Canadian commercial lender to the agricultural sector.
- Panelist presenter at Law Society of Saskatchewan webinar: Interests in Land – Statutory and Equitable Considerations, 2017
- Eric regularly presents to his commercial clients on topics of interest to them
- Conference Co-Chair, “Making the Right Turns on the Path to Justice: An Ethical Workshop,” January 2010
- Conference Co-Chair, “Big Guns & Money: Tips & Traps from the Debtor/Creditor Experts,” October 2010
- Lorne and Evelyn Johnson Foundation (no relation to Eric)
- Chair, Lorne and Evelyn Johnson Foundation (no relation to Eric), since 2017; Director since 2015
- Past Director, Regina Bar Association
- Past District Governor, Saskatchewan Trial Lawyers Association Board
- Member, Canadian Bar Association
- Member, Law Society of Saskatchewan
- Member, Regina Bar Association
- Member, I’Association des jurists d’expression francaise de la Saskatchewan
Formation et admission au barreau
- Saskatchewan Bar, 2008
- LL.B., University of Saskatchewan, 2007
- B.Admin. (with distinction), University of Regina, 2004