Yves Robillard is a litigator with more than 25 years of experience. He represents his clients in disputes related to corporate matters, securities, financial services, business agreements, insolvency, intellectual property, competition, and trusts and estates.
Yves helps business, corporations and institutions to develop practical solutions and winning strategies to their disputes. He pleads before all levels of court, arbitration panels, administrative tribunal and regulatory boards. He is also proactive in the negotiation and settlement of anticipated litigation, has extensive experience in mediation and regularly provides advice on business transactions. He has argued more than 70 reported cases before the Court of Appeal of Québec and more than 130 cases before the Superior Court of Québec.
He is a keynote speaker for the International Institute of Internal Auditors, the Association de planification fiscale et financière, the Québec Bar, banks and other financial institutions, as well as for various professional firms and associations. He also frequently writes articles related to his areas of practice, published in the Corporate Brief, Securities Practices Notes, the collection Développements récents en droit des affaires, the Presse juridique, Réseau juridique du Québec, Québec PME , l’Ingénieur civil canadien magazine and others.
Professional achievements & leadership
- Benchmark Canada, Litigation Star: Commercial; Competition/antitrust; Securities, 2020
- Benchmark Canada, Litigation Star, 2019
- “Comments on IIROC Rules Notice 18-0045 and proposed amendments, May 23 and July 19, 2019, IIROC Report Appendix D – Responses to Public Comments”
- “Terms of contract usurp good faith duty, Quebec Appeal Court holds”, Comments on the Court of Appeal’s ruling in Quigley v. Placements Banque Nationale, The Lawyer’s Daily, February 12, 2018
- “Quebec court sets limits on regulator’s gag orders”, Comments on the Court of Appeal’s ruling in SNC-Lavalin v. AMF, The Lawyers Weekly, March 29, 2013
- ‘‘The leave requirement for secondary market actions: Is there a reasonable chance of success?”, Securities Practice Notes, Fall 2013
- ‘‘Le Contentieux de l’offre”, Développements récents en droit des affaires, vol. 371, 2013, pp. 77 ss.
- ‘‘Oppression Remedy: New Rules or Misunderstanding? An analysis of the recent decision of the Québec Court of Appeal in Sulzer Medica v. Krela”, Corporate Brief, CCH, May 2003, 2011
- ‘‘Discipline: A Resignation is No Escape for Now”, Securities Practice Notes, Spring 2010
- ‘‘Les attentes légitimes de l’actionnaire employé”, Québec PME, November 2003
- ‘‘La Cour d’appel restreint la responsabilité des administrateurs : l’affaire Wise”, Québec PME, April 2003
- ‘‘L’avenir du développement durable: le Protocole de Kyoto”, L’ingénieur civil canadien, Vol. 18, no. 2, p.8, Spring 2001
- ‘‘La preuve des communications à l’ère technologique”, Réseau juridique du Québec, www.avocat.qc.ca, September 2000
- ‘‘Le bogue de l’an 2000 : aspects juridiques”, Réseau juridique du Québec, www.avocat.qc.ca, February 1999
- ‘‘Au seuil de l’an 2000, la preuve technologique”, Réseau juridique du Québec, www.avocat.qc.ca, October 1998
- ‘‘L’affaire Ocean Drive et le mystère de l’article 136 (1) L.F.I.”, La Presse juridique, March 6, 1998
- Canadian Bar Association
- Bar of Montreal
Bar admissions & education
- Québec Bar, 1989
- Advanced studies, Université de Montréal, 1992-1994
- LL.B., Université de Montréal, 1988