Philippe A. Couture-Ménard is a partner in our litigation group. Over the years, Philippe has been involved in many shareholders disputes and has gained a sought-after experience in prevention and dispute resolution. Philippe recently acted in large-scale proceedings related to securities, corporate law, financial services and international arbitration. Philippe has acted for various public and private institutions, including Hydro-Québec, Business Development Bank of Canada (BDC), Société québécoise des infrastructures (SQI) and Bombardier. Philippe gained significant experience before all levels of the Québec courts and before arbitration tribunals.
Before being called to the Québec bar, Philippe received a civil law degree from the University of Ottawa with high distinction and a Juris Doctor in North American Common Law at the University of Montréal. He had previously received a bachelor in Political Science at the University of Montréal. Moreover, Philippe contributed to an important study on the judiciarization of homeless people in Montréal and Ottawa.
- Envergent Technologies LLP v. Arbec : counsel for a biofuel producer in connection with a lawsuit related to the alleged faulty performance of a supply agreement.
- Groupe SNC-Lavalin inc. v. Siegrist : counsel for Swiss bankers in connection with a lawsuit related to allegations of corruption of Lybian officials.
- Corporation Magil Construction v. La Cité de la culture et du sport de Laval : counsel for the Société québécoises des infrastructures (SQI) in connection with a lawsuit related to a public bid process.
- Knafo v. Knafo : counsel for multiple plaintiffs shareholders, directors and employees in a shareholders dispute.
- Hapco Holdings Limited v. Roberts : counsel for a plaintiff shareholder in connection with a lawsuit related to the embezzlement of a business.
- Zemka v. Hyde : counsel for plaintiffs shareholders, directors and sellers in connection with a lawsuit for payment of the balance of sale of their company.
- Coauthor, “L’art de rédiger la lettre de réserve”, Développements récents en droit des assurances, Service de formation continue, Barreau du Québec, Éditions Yvon Blais, 4th quarter (2016), p. 183-228
- “Wal-Mart et la liberté d’association”, Ateliers étudiants, Centre de recherche en droit public, Université de Montréal, 2010
- “Wal-Mart et la liberté d’association : un recul des libertés politiques au Québec?”, Lex-Electronica, Revue du Centre de recherche en droit public, vol. 15, no. 2 (Fall 2010)
- “Le droit est aussi une question de visibilité : occupation des espaces publics et parcours des personnes itinérantes à Montréal et à Ottawa”, Canadian Journal of Law & Society, vol. 26, no. 3 (2010), p. 531-561
- Legal clinic for start-ups, La Gare
- Young Bar of Montreal
- Canadian Bar Association
Bar admissions & education
- Québec Bar, 2011
- J.D., North American Common Law, Université de Montréal, 2010
- LL.L., Civil Law, University of Ottawa, 2009
- LL.B., Political Science, Université de Montréal, 2006