Laura Bambara’s practice focuses on complex commercial litigation, with a focus on shareholder disputes and securities litigation. As well, she is currently involved in various securities and insurance class actions. Laura is a member of the Quebec Bar Disciplinary Committee and teaches civil procedure at the École du Barreau du Québec. While studying law, she also completed an internship with the Honourable Pierre Dallaire, a Superior Court judge.
Professional achievements & leadership
- Benchmark Canada, Future Star: Dispute resolution, 2020
- Catucci v. Valeant Pharmaceuticals International Inc.: Acting as defense counsel for several insurance companies in the class action filed against Valeant Pharmaceuticals.
- Fibrek Inc. v. 1600013 Ontario Ltd. et al. — Fibrek Inc. c. 1600013 Ontario Ltd. et al.: Successfully obtained a 43 million dollar award for the minority shareholders of Fibrek Inc. in relation to Resolute Forest Products’ (formerly AbitibiBowater Inc.) hostile takeover bid of Fibrek, thereby winning every argument raised in this case.
- Groupe Bennett Fleet Inc. v. Hydro-Québec — Groupe Bennett Fleet Inc. c. Hydro-Québec: Acted for Hydro-Québec in the successful dismissal of a $28-million damage claim.
- Oracle Canada v. CIUSSS du Centre-Sud de l’Ile de Montréal — Oracle Canada c. CIUSSS du Centre-Sud de l’Ile de Montréal: Acted for Oracle Canada in relation to the renewal of a cloud service agreement for 89 establishments with 85,000 employees.
- Bombardier vs. Eagle Globe Management: Conflict between an aviation manufacturer and a company located in the British Virgin Islands regarding the finish of a luxury, private XRS aircraft and its conformity to contractual requirements.
- Bombardier vs. Fastwing Investment Holdings and Albatross Commercial Limited: Litigation relating to a conflict concerning the execution of two purchase contracts of a private XRS aircraft.
- Toroussian vs. TD Waterhouse and National Bank Financial: Litigation relating to the obligations of a bank in a discount brokerage account during the economic crisis of 2008.
- Author and Editor of the legal blog JuriGuru.com
- Lecturer at l’École du Barreau du Québec
- ”Lesson to Directors: You can be held personally liable for oppressive conduct”, Financial Services & Insolvency Communiqué, July 20, 2017
- Member of Team in Training of the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society of Canada
- Member of the Quebec Bar Disciplinary Committee (2018-2022)
- Young Bar Association of Montréal
Bar admissions & education
- Québec Bar, 2011
- LL.B., University of Ottawa, 2010