Miller Thomson has one of the most pre-eminent labour and employment practices in the country. We provide our clients with practical, effective and competitively priced services. Our lawyers have the expertise required to anticipate potential problems, suggest proactive approaches, and recognize the immediate and long‑term impact of available solutions. This practical and strategic approach has fostered hundreds of long-term client relationships based on trust and confidence.
We have long-standing traditions of advising private and public sector clients in labour and employment matters, and see our role as providing support, advice and guidance so senior management can make sound decisions consistent with labour relations and employment law considerations, industry standards, and provincial and federal legislation.
One of our strengths is in assisting clients to anticipate and prepare for the legal challenges that lay ahead. Our expertise includes traditional labour and employment law services, plus specialized advice in many areas, including human rights, occupational health and safety, workplace safety and insurance and pension and benefits support.
- Collective agreement interpretation and collective agreement bargaining
- Grievance and interest arbitrations
- Employment contracts and wrongful dismissal related to non-union employees;
- Human rights advice and litigation
- Workplace and occupational health and safety matters
- Policy development and implementation
- Specialized advice on labour and employment implications relating to corporate restructuring, severance packages, outsourcing, corporate integration, mergers and acquisitions, joint ventures and partnerships
- Structuring alternative compensation
- Sale of business/related employer issues under the Public Sector Labour Relations Transition Act, and other legislation
For clients of all sizes, we provide the strategic planning, advice and day-to-day legal assistance that is often necessary to address the wide range of challenges and initiatives that often involve labour and employment issues.