( Disponible en anglais seulement )
Ken focuses his practice on all areas of corporate and commercial finance, restructuring, and creditor enforcement matters. He is acknowledged as a leading practitioner in Asset-Based Lending, and as a result, works within the national Financial Services Group to spearhead the growth of that area, firm-wide, in addition to managing his very active practice. Previously in the financial services industry at a private non-bank finance company building their asset-based lending business, Ken developed a deep understanding of and practical experience with lending money and recovering loans. He is a consummate relationship builder and leverages his connections with finance, legal and industry experts to connect people and create opportunities for his clients. His passion for finding creative, practical solutions enables him to confidently help clients be more competitive and manage risk.
Ken acts as counsel and represents a number of major banks and non-bank financial institutions. Over and above his ABL expertise, he is thoroughly versed in all forms of financings including cashflow, syndicated, senior secured, mezzanine, subordinated debt, and quasi-equity financings, both domestic and cross-border, for both lenders and borrowers.
Ken also has extensive experience in a broad range of industries, including retail, manufacturing, distribution, logistics, packaged goods and the automotive industry.
Ken regularly presents and writes on various topics relating to the financial services and insolvency industry, advising his clients on recent developments and practical applications as a result of changes in the law.
Ken serves on the Board of the Turnaround Management Association.
Réalisations professionnelles et leadership
- Recognized in The Canadian Legal Lexpert Directory as a leading lawyer in the area of Asset-Based Lending, 2017
- Past Co-chair of the Canadian Institute’s Commercial Loan Finance & Security Conference, 2007-2009
In addition to the selected presentations below, Ken also regularly conducts in-house training sessions and seminars for his institutional clients on issues relating to finance, restructuring and enforcement matters.
- Presenter, « Legal Challenges Update, » Asset-Based Lending in a Globalized Economy Forum, February 2017
- Co-presenter, “US-Canadian Cross Border Finance,” Boston Bar Association Commercial Finance Committee Meeting, April 2011
- Moderator, “Addressing the Impact of the Credit Crunch through Alternative Financing Solutions,” Canadian Institute’s 11th Annual Commercial Loan Financing & Security Conference, March 2009
Ken has written extensively on various topics relating to asset-based lending, debtor-in-possession financings and insolvency-related matters, including the selected articles below.
- « Use of Roll-ups in Canadian CCAA Cases is Hotly Debated, » Turnaround Management Association.
- “Liquidation of a Pharmacy’s Prescription Drug Inventory,” Health Law in Canada Journal.
- “A Look at the Current State of the Law of the Priority of Pension Benefit Obligations over Secured Lenders,” Ontario Bar Association’s Insolvency News.
- “A Bank’s Right of Set-Off in the Face of Receipt of a Garnishment,” Ontario Bar Association’s Insolvency News.
- Board of Directors of the Turnaround Management Association
- Central Canada Campaign Cabinet Member, JDRF (Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation)
- Member, Association for Corporate Growth (Toronto Chapter)
- Member, Turnaround Management Association
Formation et admission au barreau
- Ontario Bar, 1993
- LL.B. and B.C.L., McGill University, 1991
- B.A., Economics (Honours), McGill University, 1987