( Disponible en anglais seulement )
Josh Selby’s practice focuses on leasing, condominiums, real estate development, and real estate financing. Josh has acted for the developers of numerous condominium projects including towers, mixed-use sites, phased projects, bare land projects, retail condominiums, office condominiums, and industrial condominiums. Josh has also acted for the developers of shopping centres and new subdivisions. He represents landlords and tenants with a particular focus on retailers and retail landlords. Josh also acts on the purchase, sale, and financing of commercial properties.
Josh has particular experience in the following areas:
Leasing: Josh has acted for numerous retailers including a major grocery store, fast food franchises, restaurants, and clothing retailers. He also acts for industrial landlords, and retail and office landlords.
Condominium: Josh acts for condominium developers and condominium corporations; he also advises owners in disputes with condominium corporations.
Municipal and planning: Josh has acted on the construction of a neighborhood shopping centre and an enclosed shopping centre in excess of one hundred thousand square feet. He has also acted for a developer of a large mixed-use project and for numerous condominium and suburb developers.
Josh is an active member of the Canadian Bar Association’s Commercial Real Estate subsection. He has lectured extensively on condominiums, condominium development, and leasing. He has prepared papers on mixed-use leasing for the International Convention of Shopping Centres’ legal conference in Toronto. He co-hosted a round table on medical leasing. He has lectured on mixed-use condominium projects to the Canadian Condominium Institute. Josh is also involved with the Legal Education Society of Alberta (LESA) on the topics of new home construction and condominiums. Josh edited the “Remedies” section of the Real Estate Fundamentals materials for LESA. Josh has also written articles for the University of Calgary Law School’s blog. Finally, Joshua has presented at the ACMA/CCI/REIC Conferences in 2014 and 2015.
Réalisations professionnelles et leadership
- Secretary of the Commercial Real Estate Subsection of the Commercial Real Property subsection of the Canadian Bar Association
- Co-lead “Roundtable on Leasing to Health Care or Medical Uses,” ICSC Legal Conference, 2016
- “Bare Land Condominiums, Exclusive Use Common Property, Managed Property, and Common Units, Condominiums: A Practitioner’s Update,” Legal Education Society of Alberta, October 2014
- “Managed property, the reserve fund, ultra vires doctrine and other issues in interpreting the Condominium Property Act,” University of Calgary, Faculty of Law Blog, November 2012
- “Remedies” in Real Estate Fundamentals, Legal Education Society of Alberta, August 2012
- Case Law Reviewer for Bi-Annual South Alberta Branch Canadian Condominium Institute Legal Lunch and Learn
- Presenter at the Canadian Condominium Institute on the topic of mixed-use condominiums
- Contributor to the Alberta Real Estate Practice Manual and Alberta Real Estate Fundamentals
- Contributor to the Green Leasing Task Force of the American Bar Association
- Presenter at CCI/ACMA Conference
- Presenter on managing mixed use projects to CCI
- Member, Canadian Bar Association, Alberta
- Member, Canadian Bar Association, Environmental Law Subsection
- Member, Case Reviewer and Secretary, Commercial Real Estate Subsection of the South Alberta Canadian Bar Association
- Member, American Bar Association
- Member, ICSC
- Member, CHBA – UDI
Formation et admission au barreau
- Alberta Bar, 2008
- LL.B., University of Victoria, 2007
- B.A. (with distinction), University of Calgary, 2004