Myron is a corporate lawyer with significant experience in the technology sector. His practice focuses primarily on domestic and cross-border mergers and acquisitions, private equity, venture capital, and corporate finance. He regularly advises technology, media, and telecommunications companies and understands the unique issues and regulatory environment these organizations face. Myron’s clients rely on him to identify and assist in solving complex legal issues through practical, thoughtful solutions aligned with his client’s corporate strategies and growth. His approach centers on his client’s success and works with them to achieve this and get the deal done.
Myron’s experience working in the technology sector, along with years of practical legal and business experience, allows him to provide responsive, creative and customized advice that aligns with his client’s goals and mitigates their risk. He is razor-focused on delivering excellence to his clients quickly, efficiently and pragmatically.
Mergers and Acquisitions: Myron routinely advises domestic and international venture capital funds, private equity funds, sellers, and strategic acquirers on complex mergers and acquisitions. He has a deep understanding of the practical challenges companies operating in these industries face allowing him to identify and solve the unique issues that arise when acquiring or selling technology, media, and telecommunications companies.
Venture Capital and Emerging Companies: Myron routinely works with private equity and venture capital funds, strategic investors and high growth emerging companies. He acts for both issuers and investors in investments – from seed stage financing through to going public. For emerging companies, Myron provides strategic advice on making themselves investment-ready and guiding them through each financing transaction. He is actively involved in several accelerators and business incubator programs where he provides mentorship to the startup community.
Corporate and Commercial: Myron brings in-depth experience covering equity and debt financing, joint ventures, complex business combinations, and governance matters to support their day-to-day corporate needs. Myron regularly counsels technology companies utilizing cutting edge technologies, including artificial intelligence, FinTech, RegTech, MedTech, AgriTech, blockchain, and cloud computing (SaaS, IaaS and PaaS).
Myron is a recognized thought leader and routinely writes and speaks at various conferences and podcasts on emerging companies and the legal impacts of innovative technologies, such as A.I. and blockchain. He has co-authored chapters for two books written by leading global experts titled “Law of Artificial Intelligence and Smart Machines: Understanding A.I. and the Legal Impact” and “Cloud 3.0.” Myron is actively involved in the technology industry and has served on the Board of Directors for numerous companies, including a multinational cybersecurity company. He serves as a Strategic Advisor to the Canadian RegTech Association and co-chair of the Canadian Venture Capital Association’s Young Professional’s Committee.
- Speaker, Beyond Controls – Exploring Cyber Innovation, Canadian Regulatory Technology Association, February 9, 2021
- Speaker, CETA & E-Commerce: Considerations for EU companies, European Union Chamber of Commerce in Canada, February 3, 2021
- Co-author, Canadian privacy law 2.0: Artificial intelligence (AI) and Bill C-11, the Consumer Privacy Protection Act, Electronic Healthcare Law Review, February, 2021
- Speaker, Big Data: Tactics For Managing Legal Risks in the Operation & Sale of a Business, BrightTALK, December 15, 2020
- Moderator, Quantum Computing 101 , Canadian RegTech Association Podcast – RegTech Round Up Podcast, November 2020
- Speaker, Big Data & AI Toronto 2020: Hybrid Conference & Expo, Big Data and AI Webinar Series, September 30, 2020
- Speaker, Navigating Through the COVID-19 Crisis – How AI Companies Can Survive and Thrive, Big Data and AI Webinar Series, May 7, 2020
- Moderator, Automate and Augment – Driving Efficiencies through Robotic Process Automation (RPA), Canadian RegTech Association Podcast – RegTech Round Up Podcast, July 30, 2020
- Author, Legal Business World: Product Liability and AI: Who’s Really at Fault? June 2020
- Moderator, Canadian Regulatory Technology Association: “Conquering the Complexity – Managing Third-Party Risk”, May 13, 2020
- Author, Canadian Venture Capital Association’s Central: How Private Equity and Venture Capital Funds can Weather the COVID-19 Crisis, April 2020
- Speaker, Data and AI Marketing Toronto Conference and Expo, December 2, 2019
- Co-author, American Bar Association’s Business Law Today: OSC Orders Approval of Prospectus for Canada’s First Bitcoin Investment Fund, March 2020
- Co-author, American Bar Association’s Business Law Today: RegTech: How Technology Can Revolutionize Compliance, February 2020.
- Co-author, American Bar Association’s Business Law Today: How Can Venture Debt Fuel a Start-up or Emerging Growth Company’s Growth, January 2020.
- Moderator, Best Practices for Contracting to Protect the Business, Ontario Bar Association’s Institute Program on “The Future of Innovation: Fundamental Shifts in IP and IT Law”, February 4, 2019.
- Co-author, American Bar Association’s Business Law Today: The Potential Impact of Blockchain Technology on Securitization, December, 2019.
- Co-chair, Blockchain & Artificial Intelligence Meet Privacy Law: An Interactive Conversation on Strategizing for Clients, Ontario Bar Association, September 17, 2019.
- Mentor, Dev Sprint Toronto, World Legal Summit, September 6 – 8, 2019.
- Co-author, Business Law Today: Canadian Senate Report Urges Action on Open Banking, August 13, 2019.
- Co-author, Chapter entitled “Artificial Intelligence in Canada” Law of Artificial Intelligence and Smart Machines: Understanding A.I. and the Legal Impact. Chicago: American Bar Association, August 1, 2019.
- Panelist, Autonomous Machines, World Legal Summit, August 1, 2019.
- Moderator, Cyber Security and Personal Data, World Legal Summit, August 1, 2019.
- Co-author, Chapter entitled “Cloud Computing in Canada” Cloud 3.0. Chicago: American Bar Association, April 2, 2019.
- Speaker, Privacy and Policy: Protecting Your Business – Practical Guidance for Technology Companies, Ryerson’s Legal Innovation Zone, February 25, 2019.
- Speaker, Cybersecurity and the Boardroom – Responsibilities of Directors, Officers and Counsel, Cybersecurity Webinar Series, January 22, 2019.
- Speaker, Privacy and Security Risks in Blockchain, Cybersecurity Seminar, November 14, 2018.
- Speaker, Cybersecurity and the Boardroom – Responsibilities of Directors, Officers and Counsel, Cybersecurity Seminar, November 14, 2018.
- Panelist, Impacts of Blockchain and Artificial Intelligence on Governments and Society, Blockchain Innovation Communities Beyond Crypto Conference, April 7, 2018.
- Speaker, Due Diligence in Purchase Agreements, The Institute of Law Clerks of Ontario’s Advanced Corporate Law Program, October 12, 2016.
- Speaker, Protecting IP and Contracting for Producers, Rain Dance Toronto, June 15, 2016.
- Advisor, Holt Accelerator– a FinTech Accelerator
- Co-Chair, Canadian Venture Capital Association – Young Professionals Committee (CVCA-YPC)
- Strategic Advisor, Canadian RegTech Association
- Community Partner (Canada) – FinTech Connector
- Planning Committee, Toronto Computer Lawyers’ Group (TCLG)
- Planning committee, 2019 Can-Tech Law Annual Conference
- Board Director, Kindred Spirits Orchestra
- Mentor, Planet Hatch – an incubator for technology startups
- Mentor, Menteer – a career skills incubator
- Past Director, Youth Centres Canada
- Director, Wembley Partners Global Holdings, Inc.
- Director, Kindred Spirits Orchestra
- Past Section Executive – Ontario Bar Association – Information Technology & Intellectual Property Law Section
- Canadian Technology Law Association
- Toronto Computer Lawyers’ Group
- Canadian Bar Association
- American Bar Association
Bar admissions & education
- Ontario Bar, 2015
- Oxford Fintech Programme, Saïd Business School, University of Oxford, 2019
- J.D., University of New Brunswick, 2014
- M.B.A. (Entrepreneurship), University of New Brunswick, 2011
- B.B.A. (Hons.), University of New Brunswick, 2007