In his Information Technology (IT) practice, David has acted as the lead negotiator on a significant number of multi-million dollar IT outsourcing and strategic sourcing projects, including for large multi-national corporations and government bodies. He has brokered complex IT transactions, serving as the main client point of contact and overseeing the responsibilities of client in-house legal counsel, contract specialists and business stakeholders. In this role, he has directly negotiated complicated and contentious IT matters and has positioned himself as one of Canada’s leading experts in computer & IT law.
In 2014, David authored the Cloud Computing chapter for LexisNexis’ legal textbook, Social Media and Internet Law.
David is recognized as a go-to lawyer on IP/IT matters requiring sophisticated and strategic attention. His practice management skills are beyond reproach. He is client focused and always ensures that client deadlines are met. David’s contract drafting skills are first rate. His research skills are equally strong and he is adept at finding support for his arguments, even in apparently weak cases. David’s enthusiasm and willingness to jump into complex matters consistently impresses his clients and colleagues and he is repeatedly recommended as a go-to source for managing sophisticated client IT projects, complex patent and trade-mark prosecutions and contentious client matters involving a serious threat of litigation.
David’s Intellectual Property (IP) practice includes the provision of legal services in respect of patents, trademarks, copyright, and industrial designs, including the preparation, filing, prosecution, registration and maintenance of such applications before the Canadian Intellectual Property Office (CIPO), the United States Patent and Trademark Office (USPTO) and internationally, the preparation of patentability and trademark registrability opinions, intellectual property due diligence in corporate transactions, Trademarks Opposition Board and cancellation proceedings, domain name disputes under the Canadian Internet Registration Authority (CIRA) and Uniform Domain-Name Dispute-Resolution Policy (UDRP), and the enforcement of intellectual property rights generally. David also provides advice on legal matters relating to Canada’s Anti-Spam Legislation (CASL).
In 2017, David was recognized as one of Canada’s leading trademark professionals in the 2017 Edition of The World Trademark Review (WTR) Annual Guide, WTR 1000. In its review, David is praised as a “delight to work with – his enthusiasm for trademarks is incomparable”. His varied client list “has benefited from shrewd portfolio management and assurance in opposition”. In the 2018 edition of WTR 1000, David is hailed as “an extremely thorough, diligent and knowledgeable attorney” – “He always makes himself available when needed and provides fantastic service, taking the time to thoroughly explain all imperative details with clarity and patience and proactively bringing up potential issues before they become a problem. The level of dedication he shows is rare – he really goes above and beyond at every turn”. David is the only WTR 1000 ranked lawyer based in Southwestern Ontario.
David is a voracious reader with a keen legal mind. He is well versed in all facets of the IP/IT practice area and is known for his ability to synthesize complex legal issues efficiently and provide thoughtful and practical legal advice. He serves as a trusted advisor to many of his clients and prides himself on readily identifying and understanding client goals and providing strategic advice to reflect those goals.
David is a Registered Canadian Patent Agent and U.S. Patent Agent, having passed the Patent Agent Examinations on his first attempt. In a given year, less than 5% of test-takers achieve passing grades on all four Patent Agent Examinations, placing David in elite company. David is also a Registered Canadian Trademark Agent and U.S. Trademark Agent.
David provides legal services to a broad range of clients across Ontario and Canada, including multinational corporations, universities, startup businesses and entrepreneurs, research hospitals, small business owners, charities, and international IP counsel, among others. In 2008, David was seconded to assist the in-house legal department of a multinational wireless communications company headquartered in Waterloo with its IP/IT matters. In 2012, David was the firm’s nominee for the prestigious Precedent Setter award.
David is a key member of Miller Thomson’s National MTech® Startup Team and a local MTech leader. In this role, David leads teams of lawyers in providing high-quality legal advice and mentoring to startups and early-stage businesses using an attractive and predictable billing model.
David has presented on various IP/IT topics to in-house counsel, foreign agents and attorneys, universities, startups, professional associations and other Ontario lawyers, including at seminars organized by the Ontario Bar Association (OBA) and the Law Society of Ontario. David has also been interviewed on IP/IT matters by Postmedia and CBC News, including for nationally distributed news articles, radio and television programs.
Since 2009, David has served as an Adjunct Professor in the Faculty of Law at Western University, where he teaches the Advanced Intellectual Property course and is a four (4) time recipient of the Faculty’s Teaching Award of Excellence.
David completed his law degree at Western University, where he was the recipient of the Dean of Law Entrance Scholarship and obtained highest standing in Advanced Patent Law. In his undergraduate career, David was the recipient of two Natural Sciences and Engineering Research Council of Canada (NSERC) Undergraduate Student Research Awards.
David is a Fellow of the Intellectual Property Institute of Canada (IPIC).
Professional achievements & leadership
- Ranked as one of Canada’s Leading Trademark Professionals – 2018 World Trademark Review, WTR 1000 (2018)
- Recognized by Western University Students’ Council (USC) with Teaching Honour Roll Award of Excellence, 2017 Academic Year
- Appointed to the Academic Committee of the International Trademark Association (INTA) (2018 – 2019)
- Ranked as one of Canada’s Leading Trademark Professionals – 2017 World Trademark Review, WTR 1000 (2017)
- Registered Patent Agent, Canada (2009)
- Registered Patent Agent, United States (2010)
- Registered Trade-mark Agent, Canada (2008)
- Registered Trade-mark Agent, United States (2009)
- Adjunct Professor, Western University, Faculty of Law (2009-present)
- Recipient, Western University Student’s Council (USC) Teaching Award of Excellence, Western University Faculty of Law (2011, 2013, 2014, 2016, 2018)
- Highest Standing, Advanced Patent Law, Western University
- Recipient, Dean of Law Entrance Scholarship, Western University
- Recipient, NSERC Undergraduate Student Research Award (2002, 2003)
- Recipient, Year One Scholarship, University of Waterloo
- Peer Reviewer, Western Law Journal
- Participates in an intellectual property law career panel organized by the Western Intellectual Property Association, at the Western University Faculty of Law, February 6, 2018.
- Presents seminar entitled “So You Want to Build a Startup? Intellectual Property Considerations for Entrepreneurs” at the University of Waterloo, November 2017.
- Presented a seminar on the new CASL legislation and the effect it will have on the business landscape in Niagara on the Lake, June, 2017.
- Presented a seminar on the new CASL legislation and the effect it will have on the business landscape in the Waterloo Office, May, 2017.
- Presented a Trademark and Advertising Law Bootcamp to members of the Guelph Chamber of Commerce at Cutten Fields, April, 2017.
- Presented a seminar entitled “So You Want To Build A Startup? Intellectual Property Considerations For Entrepreneurs” at the Lazaridis School of Business and Economics at Wilfrid Laurier University, February, 2017.
- Presented a seminar on new developments in trademark and advertising law at the Greater Kitchener Waterloo Chamber of Commerce, January, 2017.
- Taught the 2017 Advanced Intellectual Property course at Western University Faculty of Law, 2017
- Presented at the Guelph Chamber of Commerce’s Lunch and Learn Series “Creations of the Mind: How Intellectual Property will make your Business Great”, April 13, 2016
- Conducted a patent seminar within the Cancer Research and Technology Transfer (CaRTT) Program at the Schulich School of Medicine & Dentistry at Western University, March 28, 2016
- Presented on the topic of Intellectual Property Protection to BBA and MBA students in the Entrepreneurial Finance class at Wilfrid Laurier University, February 10, 2016
- “Managing SaaS Agreements: Risk Management and Best Practices” Webinar, held January 2016
- Presented an Intellectual Property Seminar to University of Waterloo students at the Quantum-Nano Centre, Waterloo, November 11, 2015
- David Schnurr’s chapter on Cloud Computing is published in LexisNexis’ legal text “Social Media and Internet Law”, May, 2014
- A Cause For Concern To Geo-Domain Name Owners? CIRA Orders Transfer Of niagararegion.ca To Municipality, Information & Technology Law (Carswell), Vol. 11, No. 3, 2009
- Registered Foreign Patent/Trademark Attorney Affiliate, AIPLA (American Intellectual Property Law Association)
- Member, INTA (International Trademark Association)
- Member, Toronto Computer Lawyers’ Group (TCLG)
- Fellow, Intellectual Property Institute of Canada (IPIC)
- Member, Communitech
- Member, Greater Kitchener Waterloo Chamber of Commerce
- Member, Cambridge Chamber of Commerce
- Member, Guelph Chamber of Commerce
- Member, Ontario Agri Business Association
- Member, Kitchener Waterloo Intellectual Property Group
- Member, Canadian and Ontario Bar Associations
- Member, Waterloo Law Association
- Member, Law Society of Ontario
- Member, Canadian Technology Law Association (CAN-TECH)
- Member, Jays Care Foundation Young Professionals
Bar admissions & education
- Ontario Bar, 2007
- LL.B., Western University, 2006
- B.Sc. (Hons), University of Waterloo, 2003
Miller Thomson ranked one of Canada’s leading trademark firms by World Trademark Review
Miller Thomson is proud to be ranked among Canada’s leading trademark firms in the 2018 edition of World Trademark Review (WTR) 1000 – The World’s Leading Trademark Professionals. With 12 offices – and close to 550 lawyers – across the...
Three Miller Thomson lawyers appointed to INTA committees for the 2018/2019 term
Miller Thomson’s Lonnie Brodkin-Schneider, Catherine Dennis Brooks and David Schnurr have recently been appointed to International Trademark Association (INTA) committees for the 2018/2019 term. Catherine Dennis Brooks is appointed to the Public Information Committee, which creates and maintains material on...
Miller Thomson ranked among Canada’s leading trademark firms in WTR 1000 2017
Miller Thomson is pleased to be ranked among Canada’s leading trademark firms in the 2017 edition of The World Trademark Review (WTR) annual guide, WTR 1000. In its review, WTR praises Miller Thomson’s coast-to-coast coverage via a network of 11 Canadian offices and...
David Schnurr recognized with Western University Teaching Award
David was honoured with the 2015 University Students’ Council Teaching Award of Excellence. He teaches the Advanced Intellectual Property course at the Faculty of Law at Western University and is a four-time recipient of this award.
David Schnurr recognized with Teaching Award of Excellence
David Schnurr has been recognized by Western University with a 2013 University Students’ Council Teaching Award of Excellence. This award is presented annually to the most outstanding teachers on campus. David is an adjunct professor at Western Law where he...
David Schnurr writes chapter in Social Media and Internet Law
David Schnurr, based in Miller Thomson’s Kitchener-Waterloo office, authored a chapter on Cloud Computing in a new book titled Social Media and Internet Law. It will be published by LexisNexis in May 2014.
David Schnurr speaks at Agri Investment Forum
David Schnurr speaks at the 2013 Agri Investment Forum in Toronto. The Agri Investment Forum showcases the highest potential emerging, growth stage, and established agri-businesses and promotes deal flow with investors from across North America.
Miller Thomson IT lawyers participate at Agri Investment Forum
Practitioners from the firm’s CleanTech, MTech and Information Technology groups will be on hand to support the annual Agri Investment Forum, taking place on June 26, 2013, at the Delta Chelsea Hotel. The Forum promotes constructive deal flow between Canadian...
David Schnurr recognized with teaching award from Western University
David Schnurr has been recognized by Western University with a 2012 University Students’ Council Teaching Award of Excellence. David was one of nine faculty members at Western Law to receive this award for the 2012 term. David teaches the Advanced...
David Schnurr is recognized by the University of Western Ontario University Students’ Council with a USC Teaching Award of Excellence, presented to the most outstanding teachers on campus. David teaches Advanced Intellectual Property at Western Law.
David Schnurr and Inna Koldorf present at Social Media and Internet Law seminar
On October 15, 2018, David Schnurr and Inna Koldorf present at the Social Media and Internet Law: Your Comprehensive Guide program. David Schnurr presents a seminar entitled “Essential Legal Considerations in Cloud Computing“. Inna Koldorf presents a seminar entitled “Workplace issues: Managing...
David Schnurr participates in IP law career panel at the Western University Faculty of Law
David Schnurr participates in an intellectual property law career panel at the Western University Faculty of Law on February 6, 2018. The panel is organized by the Western Intellectual Property Association.
David Schnurr hosts Intellectual Property seminar at the University of Waterloo
David Schnurr presents a seminar entitled “So You Want to Build a Startup? Intellectual Property Considerations for Entrepreneurs” at the University of Waterloo on November 20, 2017.
David Schnurr and David Woolford hold a CASL Seminar in Niagara on the Lake
David Schnurr and David Woolford will hold an morning seminar in Niagara on the Lake focusing on the new CASL legislation and its effect on the business landscape.
David Schnurr co-presents “CASL Compliance Best Practices”
David Schnurr presents a client seminar with Derek Lackey, President of the Direct Marketing Association of Canada, on CASL Compliance Best Practices at the White Oaks Conference Resort and Spa in Niagara-on-the-Lake, Ontario.
David Schnurr and David Woolford hold a CASL Seminar in the Waterloo Office
David Schnurr and David Woolford hold an afternoon seminar in the Waterloo Office which focuses on the new CASL legislation and the effect it will have on the business landscape.
David Schnurr presents a Trademark and Advertising Law Bootcamp to the Guelph Chamber
David Schnurr presents a Trademark and Advertising Law Bootcamp to members of the Guelph Chamber of Commerce on April 12, 2017 at Cutten Fields. David’s seminar will cover new developments in trademark and advertising law, including the upcoming significant changes...
David Schnurr presents a seminar on Intellectual Property Considerations for Entrepreneurs
David Schnurr presents a seminar entitled “So You Want To Build A Startup? Intellectual Property Considerations For Entrepreneurs” at the Lazaridis School of Business and Economics at Wilfrid Laurier University. Here David will discuss the important role intellectual property plays...
David Schnurr presents trademark and advertising law seminar
David Schnurr presents a seminar on new developments in trademark and advertising law at the Greater Kitchener Waterloo Chamber of Commerce.
David Schnurr teaches advanced intellectual property course
David Schnurr teaches the 2017 Advanced Intellectual Property course at Western University Faculty of Law.
Sorry. Your search returned no results. Please edit your search criteria and try again.
Canada’s Proposed New Trademark Regulations Released for Comment
On June 19, 2017, the Canadian Intellectual Property Office (CIPO) released its draft Regulations under Canada’s new Trademarks Act, which received Royal Assent in 2014, but is not yet in force. A link to the draft Trademark Regulations is available...
Canada’s Anti-Spam Legislation (CASL) Update
Click here to access Miller Thomson’s latest C@SL Update.
David Schnurr interviewed on impact of CASL by CBC News
CBC News, "Anti-spam legislation means headaches for small business"
Businesses across Canada, especially smaller companies, are scrambling to prepare for Canada’s Anti-Spam Legislation, which comes into effect less than four weeks from now on July 1. Some say they simply won’t be ready.
Canada’s Anti-Spam Legislation (CASL) Update
English: Click here to access Miller Thomson’s latest C@SL Update Français : Cliquer ici pour accéder à la dernière mise à jour à propos de la Loi canadienne anti-pourriel
LexisNexis, May 2014
Chapter in Social Media and Internet Law.
A Cause For Concern To Geo-Domain Name Owners? CIRA Orders Transfer Of niagararegion.ca To Municipality
Information & Technology Law (Carswell), Vol. 11, No. 3
BuildIT Software & Solutions acquired by FARO Technologies in cross-border transaction
Counsel to the shareholders of BuildIT Software & Solutions Ltd.
Syntax Systems receives strategic investment by NOVACAP
Counsel to Syntax Systems Ltd. and its principals