( Disponible en anglais seulement )
Tara Piurko has a wealth of experience in planning and development law, real property assessment and taxation and municipal law matters. She is in the business of identifying issues and opportunities, managing risk, avoiding and solving problems, and creating value.
Tara regularly provides strategic advice, counsel and support to property owners, including public and private developers, on development project approvals and land entitlement matters, as well as property assessment and taxation. She is an expert negotiator and has extensive experience securing land development approvals, including settling official plan amendments, zoning bylaw amendments and a variety of development agreements. She is also experienced in the area of expropriations, Ontario’s Retail Business Holidays Act, payments-in-lieu of taxes and ground rent arbitration and property tax recharge disputes. She appears before various courts, tribunals, panels, boards and committees of adjustment and council on various municipal, assessment, taxation and land development matters.
Tara is the first Canadian President of CREW Network on its 2018 Global Board of Directors. She is also recognized as a leading lawyer in The Best Lawyers in Canada 2018 (Municipal Law).
Réalisations professionnelles et leadership
- The Best Lawyers in Canada – Municipal Law, 2018 – 2019
Secured planning and development approvals for the following:
- Art Gallery of Ontario – Frank Gehry Renovation
- Grange Park Renovation
- 100 Yorkville mixed-use development, including the adaptive reuse of the historic facade of Mt. Sinai hospital
- 582 Sherbourne mixed-use development, including the adaptive reuse of the James Cooper Mansion
- 188 University Avenue, Shangri-La hotel, including the adaptive reuse of the historic Butcher’s Block
- St. Michael’s Hospital 3.0 redevelopment, including work related to its heliport
- Canada Life Head Office Campus, including 330 University Avenue, 180a, 180b and 190 Simcoe Street and 160 Queen Street West.
- Four Seasons Yorkville
- 18 Yorkville
Other Notable Matters:
- Bank Towers assessment appeals, 2005 – 2016 involving the six bank towers locate in the downtown of the City of Toronto. The assessment appeals involved hearings before the Assessment Review Board, a series of motions, and attendance before both the Divisional Court and the Ontario Court of Appeal.
- Ground rent arbitration related to the lands under the Cumberland Terrace plaza located at the north-west corner of Yonge Street and Bloor Street West
- Co-author, Taxation (General) chapter of Halsbury’s Laws of Canada
- Presenter, CREW Network and Toronto CREW events on matters related to professional development and CREW Network’s research
- Board of Directors, Real Estate Roundtable, 2018 – 2019
- CREW Network
- Toronto CREW
- Canadian Bar Association, Municipal Law Section
- Canadian Property Tax Association
- International Council of Shopping Centres
Formation et admission au barreau
- Ontario, 2002
- LL.B. Queen’s University, 2000
- Master of Urban and Regional Planning, Queen’s University, 1999
- Bachelor of Arts (Honours), Carleton University 1994.