Steve Lubczuk has over 39 years in practice, and has assisted many clients experiencing matrimonial and personal relationship breakdown in an empathetic yet practical and skilled manner. He has expertise in complex property and support cases as well as high-conflict custody and access cases and is well regarded by his clients and colleagues.
Steve has extensive experience in all aspects of family law and divorce including litigation, mediation, arbitration, and negotiation of separation agreements. He also practises collaborative family law. Steve has negotiated marriage and cohabitation agreements for many of his clients. His professional expertise extends to married and unmarried spouses. He has also advised clients on adoption matters.
Steve has conducted appeals in the Ontario Court of Appeal, Federal Court of Appeal and Divisional Court as well as trials in the Ontario Superior Court of Justice (and predecessor courts) the Ontario Court of Justice (and predecessor courts), Small Claims Court and Provincial Offences Court. He was a Chairperson of the Canada Pension Plan Review Tribunal. Steve is trained in mediation and has presided as both mediator and arbitrator in family law cases and represented clients in mediations and before boards and tribunals.
Steve has been involved in providing alternate dispute resolution services in the community with respect to family law matters. He has extensive negotiation and drafting skills.
Steve was born and raised in Kitchener. He has been involved in community and charitable service and organizations throughout his life and continues such involvement.
Professional achievements & leadership
- The Best Lawyers in Canada – Family Law, 2014-2024
- The Canadian Legal Lexpert Directory – Family Law, 2014 - 2016, 2022-2023
- Certificate in Mediation
- Steve is sought out by junior family law lawyers, both within and outside the firm, for mentorship and advice
- Past Secretary, member since 1989, Rotary Club of Kitchener
- Board of Governors, St. Jeromes University
- Past Director, Rotary Club of Kitchener
- Past Director, Kidslink
- Past Director and former Chair of Children’s Services Committee, K-W Habilitation Services
- Past Member, Director and Secretary, K-W Kinsmen Club
- Past President, Waterloo Wellington Flying Club
- Member, Waterloo County Law Association
- Member, Ontario Bar Association
- Member, Law Society of Ontario
- Member, Canadian Bar Association
- Member, Collaborative Family Law Association of Waterloo-Wellington
- Member, Greater Kitchener-Waterloo Chamber of Commerce
Bar admissions & education
- Ontario, 1982
- LL.B., University of Windsor, 1980
- School for Graduate Studies, University of Toronto, 1977
- B.A. (honours), Wilfrid Laurier University, 1976