Adina Georgescu practises in the areas of administrative, municipal, urban planning, environmental and energy law in Miller Thomson’s Montréal office.
In the area of administrative law, Adina has experience in public and constitutional law, the drafting of bills and regulations, lobbying law, and access to information.
In municipal law, Adina represents municipalities, landowners of large properties, parapublic organizations, and promoters of residential, commercial and industrial developments. She advises companies and professionals involved in the planning and execution of large-scale real estate ventures, in the operation of their companies and the management of their properties. Her practice includes compliance with applicable laws and regulations; municipal governance and ethics; municipal litigation; the issuance and transfer of permits; federal, provincial, and municipal certificates and authorizations; public calls for tenders; amendments to urban planning regulations; assignment of land for park purposes; preservation of natural areas.
Adina has also developed a specialty in municipal taxation, assessment and tax exemptions.
She also guides commercial and residential landowners through the negotiation, inquiry and compensation processes of expropriations in Quebec.
In environmental law, Adina advises her clients on questions related to private nuisance; project and activity compliance with federal, provincial or local environmental standards; issuance of environmental authorizations; environmental issues such as the characterization of soil, rehabilitation programs, drafting and publication of contamination and decontamination notices, contaminated soil management and decontamination; recycling and recovery of residual materials.
Adina also practises in energy law, including in the areas of regulation, pricing, implementation and extension of networks (gas and electricity). She has particular experience with energy transition and green energy.
As part of her practice, Adina is called to plead before the administrative and judicial authorities of the province of Quebec.
In addition to her law degree, she is completing a master’s degree in municipal and environmental law at the Université de Montréal. Adina is also a lecturer in Administrative Law at the Faculty of Continuing Education of the Université de Montréal.
She sits on the board of directors of APL Énergies, has been chair since 2016 of the board of directors of the Quebec Chapter of the Canadian Property Tax Association and sits on the board of directors of the Canadian Bar Association, Municipal Law Section. She is the co-founder and was president, from 2016 to 2020, of the Romanian Chamber of Commerce of Quebec, and is fluent in English, French, Romanian and Spanish.
Professional achievements & leadership
- Adina was selected as one of three finalists for the 2018 “Rising Star” Award given out by CREW-M. This award salutes the exceptional contribution of a woman under 40 who works in the area of commercial real estate in Quebec. Adina was singled out among several high-profile candidates for her active involvement in the commercial real estate industry which included various initiatives designed to raise the profile of women in that industry and maximize its visibility.
- Administrateurs de la relève certification, Collège des administrateurs de sociétés, 2018
- Belmamoun c. Brossard (Ville de), 2015 QCCS 2913 (CanLII); Belmamoun c. Ville de Brossard, 2017 QCCA 102 (CanLII); Belmamoun c. Ville de Brossard, 2020 QCCA 1718 (CanLII)
- Gazifère inc. et Association coopérative d’économie familiale de l’Outaouais (ACEFO), 2020 CanLII 99787 (QC RDE)
- Gazifère inc. et Association coopérative d’économie familiale de l’Outaouais (ACEFO), 2020 CanLII 45530 (QC RDE)
- Intragaz et Énergir (Énergir), 2020 CanLII 73998 (QC RDE)
- Intragaz et Association des consommateurs industriels de gaz (ACIG), 2019 CanLII 75604 (QC RDE)
- Transition énergétique Québec et Énergir, 2019 CanLII 78739 (QC RDE)
- Club de tir L’Acadie c. St-Jean-sur-Richelieu (Ville de), 2015 QCCS 3444 (CanLII)
- Courses automobiles Mont-Tremblant inc. c. Iredale, 2013 QCCA 1348 (CanLII)
- Roy c. Brossard (Ville de), 2015 QCCS 5854 (CanLII)
- Rassemblement pour la sauvegarde du pavillon 1420 Boulevard Mont-Royal c. Montréal (Ville de), 2015 QCCA 1343 (CanLII)
- Tshiuetin Énergie SEC et Hydro-Québec Distribution, 2013 CanLII 48421 (QC RDE)
- Canada (Procureur général) c. St-Adolphe d’Howard (Municipalité de), 2011 QCCA 1491 (CanLII)
- Arkema Canada inc. c. PCI Chemicals Canada Company, 2008 QCCS 6066 (CanLII)
- “La fiscalité municipale au Québec,” Miller Thomson webinar, presented in collaboration with Dorothy Marshall, April 7, 2021
- “L’expropriation et les impacts de la Loi concernant l’accélération de certains projets d’infrastructure (Projet de loi 66),” Miller Thomson webinar, presented in collaboration with Pierre Goudreau, Patrick Ouimet and Romain Droitcourt, March 16, 2021
- “Les projets de loi 65, 66 et 67,” Webinar, Canadian Bar Association – Quebec Chapter – Municipal Law Section, January 21, 2021
- “An Act respecting the acceleration of certain infrastructure projects (Quebec Bill 66),” Miller Thomson EnviroNotes, 2020
- “Standard of Review and Confidentiality,” Canadian Property Tax Association, Annual Workshop, September 2020
- “Droits de mutation : comment réduire la facture,” Miller Thomson Annual Construction Law seminar, March 11, 2020, presented jointly with Chantal Joubert
- “Expropriation / REM Project,” Miller Thomson’s Presentation on Recent Developments in Real Estate Law, November 22, 2018, presented jointly with Chantal Joubert
- “Reminder Notice to Real Estate Owners and Tenants in Quebec – 2018-2020 Property Assessment Appeals,” Real Estate Report, April 2018
- “The Réseau Électrique Métropolitain: Theory and Practice,” Construction Newsletter – Quebec, March 2018
- “Cross Canada Legal Panel: Key Decisions From Across Canada,” panel member, in collaboration with Mr. Fadi Amine, Canadian Property Tax Association, Toronto, January 29-30, 2018
- “Expert evidence – Independence and Impartiality: A Quebec perspective,” in collaboration with Mr. Fadi Amine, Canadian Property Tax Association Inc, October 2017
- JurisClasseur, Successions et Libéralités (LexisNexis)
- “Le récent jugement de la Cour d’appel du Québec dans Ville de Mont-Tremblant c. Iredale : déraisonnablité et caractère opérant d’un règlement municipal sur le bruit,” in collaboration with Mr. Luc Gratton, Canadian Bar Association, 13 mai 2014
- “Traffic Nuisance: Certification for Class Action Dismissed by Superior Court of Quebec,” EnviroNotes!, January 2016
- “Exploration minière et aires protégées,” Colloque Québec Exploration 2009
- Tourisme Montréal – Events and product development committee, 2019 – 2021
- Communauté roumaine de Montréal
- Groupe d’aide et d’information sur le harcèlement sexuel et psychologique au travail (aspect juridique) – interventions auprès des victimes et du public, 2005-2006
- Canadian Property Tax Association
- Chair of the Quebec Chapter
- Member of the National Executive Committee
- APL Énergies
- Member of the Board of Directors
- Canadian Bar Association – Municipal Law Section (Quebec Chapter)
- Board Member (2020-2021, 2021-2022)
- Romanian Chamber of Commerce of Quebec
- President and co-founder
- Member Regroupement des jeunes chambres de commerce du Québec
- Canadian Bar Association, Administrative Law, Municipal Law and Environment, Energy and Resources Law sections
- Quebec Business Council on the Environment (CPEQ)
Bar admissions & education
- Quebec Bar, 2008
- LL.B., University of Montréal, 2007
- General Law training session, Université Lyon II, Lyon, France, 2006