Patricia J. Forte
Biographie( Disponible en anglais seulement )
Patricia (Pat) Forte is a Partner in Miller Thomson's Waterloo office and practises in the area of civil litigation, primarily insurance defence and employment law.
Pat’s insurance practice focuses on the defence of property and casualty claims, including automobile bodily injury, commercial general liability and subrogated recovery. She provides opinions on coverage, policy interpretation, and compliance with statutory/policy requirements.
Pat also acts for a wide range of clients in her employment law practice where she advises clients about employment standards, employment discipline and termination, employment policies, contracts, wrongful dismissal claims, human rights complaints and privacy.
Pat’s litigation experience includes court appearances in all levels of court, including the Ontario Court of Appeal. She has a solid background in mediation training and practice, has completed courses in Risk Assessment, Risk Control and Risk Financing to receive her Canadian Risk Management (CRM) designation, and has developed expertise in board governance and risk management in the profit and not-for-profit sectors.
Pat’s broad-base experience and result-oriented approach helps her provide clients with timely, practical counsel in a cost-effective manner. Committed to keeping clients informed on legal issues that affect them, Pat regularly speaks and writes on current topics of interest and about emerging legal trends.
In her downtime, Pat enjoys walking her dog and playing 14 holes of golf.
- B.A. Hons. Psychology, University of Waterloo, 1992
- LL.B., University of Western Ontario, 1995
- Canadian Risk Management Certificate, Wilfrid Laurier University, 2009
- Board of Directors, Hospice of Waterloo Region
- Global Risk Management Institute (GRMI)
- Risk and Insurance Management Society (RIMS) Canada
- Member, Insurance Law and Commercial Litigation Practice Groups
- Member, Legal Risk Management Services Group
- Member, Waterloo Law Association
- Member, Canadian and Ontario Bar Associations
- Member, Greater KW Chamber of Commerce
- Member, CTT
- Member, Communitech
- Member, Phi Delta Phi International Legal Fraternity
- January 19, 20 and 26, 2011 (Waterloo, Guelph and London) Labour and Employment Seminar: “Coming Full Circle: A review of 2010 wrongful dismissal cases”.
- May 19, 2011, Ontario Mutual Insurers’ Association: “Occupiers’ Liability: Avoiding Potholes and Pitfalls” and “Bodily Injury and Threshold Update”.
- September 28, 2011 Seminar, Ontario Mutual Insurers' Association Claims School: "Negligence 101: The ABCDs".
- January 2012 Presentation, Economical Mutual Insurance Company, "The Use of Social Media in Claims Litigation".
- March 9, 2012, Ontario Bar Association Young Lawyers Division, paper and presentation on “The Use of Discovery Evidence and Handling Objections at Trial”.
- March 20, 2012 seminar presentation North Waterloo Farmers’ Mutual on “The Use of Social Media in Claims Litigation”.
- April 20, 2012 seminar presentation at Ontario School Boards’ Insurance Exchange (OSBIE) on “The Use of Social Media in Claims Litigation”.
- April 30, 2012 seminar presentation at Cooperators on “The Use of Social Media in Claims Litigation”.
- May 17, 2012, seminar presentation at Ontario Mutual Insurers’ Association: “Games People Play: Game Theory in Dispute Resolution”.
- October 25, 2012, seminar presentation “Employment Liability: Claims & How to Protect Your Business”.
- November 20, 22 and 27 client seminars in Waterloo, Guelph and London offices on “Digital Dirt: The Improprieties of Social media in the Workplace”.
- February 21, 2013 - Liability of Directors and Officers of Non-Share Corporations.
- March 6, 2013 – Ontario Bar Association Young Lawyers Division, paper and presentation on “The Use of Discovery Evidence and Handling Objections at Trial”.
- March 21, 2013 – OIAA Provincial Trade Show, London: Using Social Media in Claims.
- May 16, 2913 - Seminar presentation at Miller Thomson sponsored OMIA Workshop on "Kids with Claims: Major Minor Issues".
- I Like this: The Ongoing Tale of Disclosure & Production, KW Ontario Insurance Adjusters’ Association publication, 2012
- Happy 10th Birthday, Parental Responsibility Act!, 2010
- The Ontario Court of Appeal Revisits "Authorized by Law" to Drive, Bulletin assurances, December 2009
- Office of The Privacy Commissioner Issues Guidelines on Cover Video Surveillance Applicable to Insurers, Bulletin assurances, December 2009
- Watch Out! An Update About Surveillance Under PIPEDA, Bulletin assurances, May 2009
- Miller v. Carluccio: "Authority to Drive", Bulletin assurances, May 2009
- Watch Out! An Update about Survelliance under PIPEDA: Draft Survelliance Guidelines, Ontario Insurance Adjusters Association, 2009
- Watch Out! An Update about Surveillance under PIPEDA: Draft Surveillance Guidelines, 2009
- Stop! In the Name of the Law!, Ontario Insurance Adjusters Association, 2008
- Early Case Dismissal: Driving Without Consent, Bulletin assurances, April 2008
- Accidents Can Occur Without Negligence, Bulletin assurances, December 2007
- Employers find a different world up (or down) there, The National Law Journal, 2007
- Privacy Commissioner O.K.'S Surveillance in Litigation, Bulletin assurances, October 2005
- Forfeiting Indemnity - The Violation of G1/G2 Licences, Bulletin assurances, October 2003
- Liability of Parents and Children, Bulletin assurances, October 2003
- More Changes to the Law of Social Host Liability, Bulletin assurances, July 2002
Principaux domaines de pratiques
- Réclamations dans le cadre d'assurances multirisques
- Contrats de travail et normes du travail
- Cessation d'emploi
Admission au Barreau
- Ontario Bar, 1997