( Disponible en anglais seulement )
Steven Evans is a partner in Miller Thomson’s Commercial Litigation and Insurance groups. Steven has a broad litigation practice encompassing environmental law, general civil litigation and professional liability claims. He has appeared before all levels of court in British Columbia and at the British Columbia Environmental Appeal Board.
Steven’s practice includes:
- Environmental litigation and dispute resolution involving contaminated sites, environmental torts and regulatory matters;
- Commercial disputes, including breach of contract, unjust enrichment and fraud claims;
- Real property disputes, including disputes between neighbouring landowners and partition and sale proceedings; and
- Negligence claims brought against architects and engineers.
Steven is an executive member of the Environmental Law subsection of the Canadian Bar Association – British Columbia Branch. He has written and presented on a number of environmental and civil litigation topics, including contaminated sites litigation, air quality regulation and enforcement, and the enforcement of judgments against uncooperative judgment debtors.
Prior to becoming a lawyer, Steven studied commerce at the University of British Columbia and worked in marketing and advertising.
Steven is a volunteer director with Green Teams of Canada.
- Co-author, "BC Court of Appeal allows recovery of legal fees as remediation costs", Miller Thomson EnviroNotes (February 8, 2022)
- Co-author, "Injunctive relief as a remedy for ongoing contamination: Ward v. Cariboo Regional District," Miller Thomson EnviroNotes (January 13, 2022)
- Co-author, "New triggers requiring site disclosure statements: BC rolls out a new contaminated sites regime," Miller Thomson EnviroNotes (March 11, 2021)
- Co-author, "Appeal launched against Federal Court’s dismissal of youth climate change lawsuit," Miller Thomson EnviroNotes (November 26, 2020)
- Panelist, CBABC Environmental Law Subsection – 2019 Year-in-Review
- Panelist, CBABC Environmental Law Subsection – A Review of Recent Changes to Provincial and Federal Environmental Laws (August 6, 2020)
- Co-author, "Protection for suppliers," Miller Thomson Financial Services & Restructuring Communiqué (June 5, 2020)
- Co-author, “The Role of the UNFCCC Regime in Ensuring Effective Adaptation in Developing Countries: Lessons from Bangladesh,” (2014) 4 Climate Law 327.
- Co-author, “Protected on Paper Only: Evaluation of Nova Scotia’s legal obligations to protect and recover mainland moose and other species at risk,” (2015) East Coast Environmental Law
- Director, Green Teams of Canada, 2020-present
- Co-chair, Canadian Bar Association, Environmental Law Section (BC Branch), 2021-present
- Secretary, Canadian Bar Association, Environmental Law Section (BC Branch), 2018-2021
- Canadian Bar Association
- Law Society of British Columbia
Formation et admission au barreau
- Colombie-Britannique, 2015
- J.D., Schulich School of Law, Dalhousie University, 2014
- Journalism Certificate, Langara College, 2009
- B.Comm. (marketing), University of British Columbia, 2002