Miller Thomson’s Education Law Group appreciates that putting students’ needs first must be the cornerstone of your legal strategies. Legal issues in education arise in the context of ongoing relationships, so even when providing advice to facilitate a short term resolution, we consider the need to develop the foundations for long term problem-solving. Our Education lawyers will get to know your specific needs, staff and culture, in order to support your organization with timely, effective advice, drawing on our extensive experience working with publicly funded English public and Catholic school boards, private schools, private career colleges, colleges and universities as well as education associations. We will help you understand how the legislation, case law, policy and best practices impact you, in an approachable, pragmatic and collaborative manner.
We value local relationships. We offer provincial expertise and national experience. Our expertise includes:
- Accommodation & School Closure
- Privacy & Access to Information
- Human Rights
- Health and Safety
- Labour and Employment
- Special Education
- Student Discipline
- Real Property
- Civil Litigation
- Intellectual Property
- Information Technology
- Corporate Commercial
- Education Development Charges
- Planning and Development
In addition to the traditional solicitor and client relationship, we offer supplemental ways for our team to support your organization, for example:
- We offer complimentary monthly Morning Recess webinars on topics requested by our clients, as well as a monthly Education Law Newsletter and Client Alerts.
- Our Education Lawyers can develop presentations to address specific issues facing your staff;
- We can review by-laws, policies and procedures and create a gap analysis;
- We can provide your trustees with interactive seminars to develop their comfort and understanding of the responsibilities of this challenging role.